Every day the same old slog, sitting at your desk getting older, grimmer and wider. Is there a solution to the inevitable physical decline that accompanies the lifelong grind we call work? Yes! Embrace the rat/gerbil race with your very own treadmill desk.
Seriously, human beings just weren't meant to sit on their butts all day long. We evolved to walk around and move our bodies. A treadmill desk lets you do that.
Walk and work--what madness is this?
Yeah, it seems a little intimidating, but once you do it for a while, you'll find it's easy and natural. It's almost as if we humans were built to walk rather than sit around. Just step on it and turn it on and before you notice it, you'll have done 10 minutes, 40 minutes or more. Since walking is such a natural activity, it's easy to put your walking on autopilot while you are engaged with whatever you're doing on the desk.
What it is
A big wide desk with a high quality, stable walking treadmill underneath it. (Note: this is a walking treadmill. It can go between .4 - 4 mph.)
- Heavy duty--rated for up to 300 lbs. If you weigh more, other models are available to suit you.
- Quiet--even at its maximum speed, it measures only 68 dB, about the same sound level as being inside a running car. At an easy walking speed of .8 mph, the sound of the motor isn't noticeable inside an average, quiet house.
- Walking while working increases circulation and is said to improve efficiency
- Absolutely the most effortless and efficient exercise possible. Since you're working (knitting, reading, watching TV, etc) anyway, your exercise in a sense does not take up any extra time. It's a freebie!
- The electronic console sticks out a bit and might be slightly uncomfortable if you have a big belly, are doing close work at the desk, and are too lazy to wear your glasses. Not that I know anyone like that.
- At $1500, the manufacturer could have tossed in a bottle of lubricant.
- Um, did I mention it costs $1500? That's a lot of money, but this is a high quality, durable product that can significantly improve your life.
- Give yourself time to get used to it. Start out by just walking and watching TV. Later you'll be knitting, typing, doing jigsaw puzzles, defusing bombs, writing eccentric product reviews or whatever.
- The lowest speed might be too slow, even if you're just starting out. Feel free to speed it up a little to make walking more comfortable.
- Make sure the walking belt is centered. It's easy to center it; just read the manual.
- Lubricate the belt every 40 hours of use or as directed by the user manual. It's easy to lubricate the belt.
- If you find yourself not using it (the fate of so many home exercise gadgets), make yourself a promise to use it for just one minute at a certain time each day, like after your brush your teeth. It's so easy and natural that in a couple days it'll be a habit and an activity you look forward to.
This gadget is a game changer that can improve your health and efficiency. Every office should have one, and if you are lucky enough to be able to have one in your home, you will benefit greatly.