Humuhumunukunukuapua`a is truly one of Maui’s most romantic restaurants and most difficult to spell or pronounce. The open-air dining venue sits on a manmade lagoon accessible by wooden bridges. We ate there the first time more than decade ago only to find and returned last night only to discover it has changed for the better (food wise, the setting has always been amazing) thanks to Chef Michael Lofaro whose bio says, “thrives on satiating taste buds through simple and balanced flavors”.
Chef was off property last night but his team managed to please our palates big time with a tongue-teasing Yellowfin tuna sashimi that came with a shaved ice on top making it so refreshing, and onager (Red Snapper) about as creatively prepared as it gets while retaining the moistness and delicate flavor of the local fish. We also enjoyed sides of perfectly done wild mushrooms and bok choy.
For dessert we went for cooling sorbets and ice cream which were also special. The restaurant is very popular with couples, for whom there are romantic tables set off from the crowd, and families. It tends to be busiest around 6:30 p.m. as locals and tourists dine early in the Islands.
Go even earlier because from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. there’s 50% off "On the Rocks" well drinks, house wine by-the-glass and domestic beers; from 5:30 p.m. for an hour the Ono Ono Happy Hour also features 50% off any hand-caught fresh lobster entrée.
Entrees and prices in a nutshell:
- Hand Caught Lobster Hawaiian Spiny 58 per lb or Kona Maine 54 per lb
- (Minimum of 2/lb based on availability)
- Hand Pick Your Fresh Lobster from our Saltwater Lagoon Prepared Steamed or Grilled with Humuhumunukunukuapua'a Fried Rice.
- Macadamia Nut Crusted Mahi Mahi - 39
- Purple Sweet Potato Mashed, Sautéed Baby Bok Choy with a Red Wine Reduction
- Korean Style Fried Chicken - 31
- Kochujang Sauce, Pickled Vegetables, Jasmine Rice and Sesame
- Seared Ahi Loin - Market Price
- Foie Gras Dumpling, Stir Fry Mushrooms and Snow Peas, Pho Inspired Broth
- Brioche and Lemongrass Crusted Rack of Domestic Lamb - 45
- Asian Ratatouille, Black Bean Oyster Sauce, Broccolini
- Filet Mignon 8 oz - 48
- Selection of Maui Onion Bordelaise, Red Wine Reduction or Caramelized Maui Onion Jus, Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Broccolini
- * Ma Ke Kai I Ke Kula - 64
- Humu's Surf and Turf with Grilled Lobster Tail and 5 oz. Filet Mignon, Broccolini and Roasted Mushrooms, Red Wine Reduction, Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Hoisin and Pear Braised Kobe Short Rib - 35
- Ginger Braised Kale, Glazed Baby Carrots, Cinnamon, Hearts of Palm
- Potato Crusted Taz Salmon - 36
- Porcini, Kula Corn, Kahuku Sea Asparagus, Bacon, Dashi Emulsion
- Opah Medallion - 41
- Forbidden Rice, Lobster and Lychee Vinaigrette, Thai Basil
- Crispy Hawaiian Snapper - Market Price
- Coconut Fried Rice, Toasted Almonds, Thai American Sauce
Be advised chefs do like to make menu changes, and in addition to the above there are plenty of pupus salads,sides and desserts.