You can’t help but be intrigued by the history of GoPro and its founder, Nicholas Woodman, when you check out the latest in the line up of these “Go Anywhere” cameras. Ryan Mac, of Forbes Magazine, thoroughly captures the chronology of Woodman’s “overnight” success, which actually took closer to a decade of trials and tribulations, failures and successes that shaped not only the company but also Nicholas himself. Woodman’s GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition is the culmination of a series of cameras that went far beyond Woodman’s first wrist strapped camera so that surfers could capture the action and epic waves.
Today GoPro is the number-one activity-capture company in the world. It’s also the fastest growing camera company. Not bad for a cool surfer dude who had an idea and went with it. Woodman is now worth a cool $1.3 billion. But GoPro wasn’t an overnight success. As Woodman says in his interview with Mac, “It was a classic 10-year overnight success case."
What’s so cool about the GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition? There’s a lot to like in the most advanced GoPro yet. For starters:
- Resolutions up to 4K capture professional quality, radically smooth motion playback.
- 12MP photos at up to 30 frames per second in a 1-second burst. Great for time lapse capture which the Hero3+ can do ranging from 0.5 to 60-second intervals.
- 20% smaller and lighter than previous models.
- SuperView is a new feature with the Hero3+ Black Edition. This mode allows you to capture a wide angle (16:9 aspect ratio) when shooting 1080p or 720p footage by stretching out the sides of the video to fit the 16:9 frame. Perfect for capturing expansive scenery such as ski slopes as you hot dog your way down the slopes.
- Speedy Built-in Wi-Fi (yes!) that enables you to control up to 50 cameras from a distance as far as 600 feet (180 meters).
- Auto Low Light mode is new with this model. Now you can capture amazing video and photos in low light conditions as the GoPro automatically adjusts for those scenarios.
- Backwards compatible with all GoPro mounts and accessories.
- Not only does the GoPro Hero3+ Black capture amazing video but also Awesome Audio. Even during high-speed action shots the audio is clearer with less wind-noise.
- Longer battery life is improved by 30%.
- The GoPro App enables you to use your smartphone (iPhone and Android) as a super slick remote control for your GoPro camera. Adjust settings, start/stop recording, switch modes and check your battery level. Perfect for times when your camera is hard-to-reach. Live preview mode also lets you see what your GoPro sees so you can get the perfect composition.
- Waterproof up to 131 feet/40 meters. Amazing.
What we liked about the GoPro is how super simple it is to use. The GoPro App was easy to use and navigate right off the bat. We were able to go nonstop using the App on our iPhone 5S for a full hour (which drained our iPhone to about 60%). The Hero3+ uses only micro SD cards and I recommend getting several to be sure you capture all the action. (NOTE: The Hero3+ requires a 64 GB Class 10 MidroSD card.) I would also get a few extra batteries if you know you’re going to shoot for more than an hour. While the battery life has improved you can estimate about one hour for each battery. That’s not enough if you’re traveling and unable to recharge quickly.
The GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition set out to be the best action capture camera in its class. Whether you’re headed to the Alps or your backyard, for a cool $399.99 you can capture extreme video and stills of your next epic adventure. It’s backed by the companies 30-day money back guarantee.