Do you like apple pie or baked apples with cinnamon? If you do, I have a new treat for you. General Mills has come out with a new Chex cereal flavor; Apple Cinnamon! And I’m here to tell you that these tasty little nuggets each and every one tastes like you are biting into an cinnamon-y apple dessert.
The cool thing about Chex is that whether you are eating this delicious cereal dry or with milk, you are getting NINE grams of whole grain per serving, making it the first ingredient listed on the box.
You all know that whole grains are an important part of your daily nutritional requirements. What you may not know is that it is recommended that we get 48 grams of whole grain a day.
In fact, wholegrainnation.com gives us five ways whole grains can change your life:
1. Heart health. Heart-healthy diets rich in whole grain foods can reduce the risk of heart disease.
2. Reduce cancer risk. Low fat diets rich in fiber-containing grain products, fruits and vegetables may reduce the risk of some types of cancer, particularly of the stomach and colon.
3. Manage diabetes. The American Diabetes Association recommends whole grain as part of a diabetic diet.
4. Keep you regular. Fiber from whole grains promotes regularity and keeps the intestines working smoothly to help maintain good digestive health.
5. Weight management. A growing body of evidence supports that people who eat more whole grain tend to have healthier body weights and gain less weight over time than those who don’t.
The next amazing thing about this sinfully delightful cereal is that it is totally guilt-free with only 130 calories in a generous ¾ cup serving and only two grams of fat per serving. And with only eight grams of sugars, this cereal is a very healthy choice for breakfast or a snack.
And here’s something else I think is amazing; if you use the Apple Cinnamon Chex, you can make a delightfully sweet and healthy trail or snack mix. Here’s my recipe:
Apple Cinnamon Trail Mix
- 2 cups Apple Cinnamon Chex Cereal
- 2 cups Honey Nut Chex Cereal
- 1 cup pretzels (chopped, if too large)
- ½ cup golden raisins
- ½ cup dried apples, chopped (or cranberries)
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ½ cup pecan pieces
- ¼ cup butter or margarine – low fat
- ½ cup brown sugar – I used Splenda Blend Brown Sugar
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup or light corn syrup (I love the maple flavor in the syrup)
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup M&Ms Peanuts (or Reese's Pieces)
- Put cereal, pretzels, raisins, dried fruit, almonds and pecans in a large microwave safe bowl.
- In a 2 cup microwavable measuring cup, mix the butter, brown sugar and maple syrup and microwave on high for 2 minutes, stirring halfway through. After the 2 minutes, stir in 1/8 teaspoon baking soda until mix is foamy. Pour the butter/brown sugar mixture over cereal and stir until well coated.
- Microwave on high 1 to 2 minutes, stirring every half minute, until cereal barely begins to get brown. Cool 5 minutes, then stir in candy pieces.
- Spread on waxed paper or foil until cool, then break into little pieces. Store in zippies or plastic containers.
For more awesome Chex recipes, check this out!