There’s lots to love about this movie but I’m mentioning only five because I don’t want you to waste too much time reading about it. Honestly, I don’t know what’s not to love about it - especially when it’s better than the first.
I’m glad to finally be off embargo so that I can talk about it.
- Steve Rogers is looking better than ever. He’s stronger, faster, whittier, and a tad more buff than the last time we saw him. Chris Evans is fit, trim and getting more yummy looking with each new action movie he puts under his belt. Thank goodness the powers that be ditched the Fantastic Four franchise so that Evans could be free and shine in this role, delivering a multi-layered Captain America that we can empathize with.
- The movie delivers an action sequence within the first 15 minutes. The scene on the ship sets you up for more fight goodies to come. My 10 year old was mesmerized and the grown men behind me were full of “ohhhh”s. Both Captain America and the Black Widow kick serious butt in this scene and look great doing it. I forgot just how strong Cap is until he bounces villains off the edge of ships with one kick or takes down a whole elevator full of Shield agents.
- Nick Fury ain’t no sucker. I love Sam Jackson in this role. He’s witty yet formidable and smart. I wanted to see Fury engaged in more action and I get a little more of that in The Winter Soldier. Come on, we need to see how he earned his stripes! When Hydra tries to take him down in an elaborate car scene, Fury makes it known he’s not going down like that. I couldn’t help but wish I owned his truck, able to withstand just about anything. This is just a prelude to how Fury stays one step ahead of EVERYONE in the movie.
- There are just enough action scenes in The Winter Soldier without overdoing it on the explosions and carnage. I think the ship scene is probably my favorite of all the action scenes. My son said he liked the second movie more than the first because of the action. Guess he doesn’t need any more backstory.
- There are twists and turns all throughout The Winter Soldier. I won’t get into particulars because I don’t want to spoil it for you but in general, you’ll find a couple of surprises that you may not have seen coming. You’ll also see some predictable plot elements as well. Unfortunately, Black Widow and Captain America don't push the romantic envelope too much although I'd like to see that particular plot thicken in the future.
Please let me know what you thought about Captain America: The Winter Soldier. What did you like or dislike? What was your favorite scene? What would you have done different?
Alert: Make sure you don’t leave until the theater lights come up completely and the screen goes dark. Marvel movies always have a couple of short scenes hidden in the credits or just after the very final credit, showing you what’s to come. It’s not over til it’s over.