Terra d'Oro (Land of Gold) Winery is located in in Amador County, CA; right on the Sierra Foothills which witness the CA Gold Rush in the mid 1800's. The early prospectors planted vines to quench their thirst. After twenty years of gold rush, the vines survived the miners and became the rootstock for California's young wine industry.
Three distinctive bottling of Terra d'Oro Zinfandel where shared with ten wine enthusiasts, customers of The Wine Cellars and owner Reneé Rowe. Te Wine Cellars is an specialty wine store in Smyrna, GA a town next to Atlanta. At The Wine Cellar's cozy and classy wine bar/cafe area we tasted the wines over a five days period, using vacu vin rubber stoppers to seal the bottles every day. We are sharing tasting notes and preferences of the various wine lovers and myself.
2007 Terra d'Oro SHR Field Blend Zinfandel:
Vineyard notes, courtesy of the winery: "The Terra d’Oro SHR Vineyard is forty acres of hillside planted to 80% Zinfandel, 13% Petite Sirah and 7% Barbera. This unique vineyard is laid out north to south with every seventh row being Petite Sirah, the thirteenth Barbera, and fourteenth Petite Sirah. The tractor rows run east to west so the grapes picked into the gondola are brought to the winery “blended.” Field blending is an ancient winemaking practice not widely used today. Historically many field blends were made up of Zinfandel, Petite Sirah, and Carignane. Because Barbera’s soft tannin and higher acidity help balance the blend, it was substituted for Carignane."
- From Reneé Rowe, owner of The Wine Cellars (1st and 5th day): "On the nose this wine has red fruit, baking spices and rhubarb. Complex palate of strawberry, raspberry, mocha and cocoa powder."
- From Jennifer Cook (1st and 5th day): "Lots of Brown spices, I tried this wine on the first day, on the fifth day the flavor was better, similar but more complex."
- From Jen Shifflett (1st day): "This wine has a muddy dirt smell. On the mouth, feels medium-bodied with flavors of mulberry and cherry and peppery spicy notes; very dry finish."
- From Allyson Bloom (1st day): "This wine smells like fresh baked bread, shows slow legs (high alcohol). On the palate, cherry, black pepper and lots of spice ending with a dry finish."
- From Pamela Roebuck, advisor at The Wine Cellars: (1st day): "Strong aromas of dark plum, blackberry and freshly crushed black pepper. On the palate you can taste what you smell but concentrated flavors and strong tannins that coat your whole mouth with a medium to long finish that lingers."
- From Jeff Kasian (2nd day): "Aromas of leather, earth and black cherry with intense notes of straw. Medium-bodied rustic wine with generous tannins, strong dark fruit flavors and long finish."
- From Roger Smith (2nd day): "This wine is light red in color, shows a pleasant earthy smell. On the mouth it shows great balance between sweet and tart; light to medium-bodied and low tannins."
- From Monte Bruner (3th day): "This wine feels very earthy with moderate red fruits aromas and flavors. Not as fruit forward as your typical Zinfandel."
- From Leslie Krone (3th Day): "Beautiful deep red color, very earthy nose with notes of cherry that you taste on the flavor with interesting smoky undertones. This Zinfandel is not as fruit-forward like many I tried before."
- From Edgar Solis: This wine also held up great after been opened for five days. This mostly Zinfandel blend has ripe black fruit aromas accompanied by notes of red flowers, vanilla, sandalwood, smoke and oak. On the palate this wine feels medium to full-bodied with pleasant tannins and very complex; with flavors of blackberry, dark figs, blueberry, root-beer, bacon and hints of spicy oak. This well crafted wine will be the perfect companion for a heavy dish like: roasted leg of lamb, smoked duck, slow roasted salt and pepper crusted prime rib, spiced farro grain, roasted yucca root and grilled vegetables.
In Atlanta Terra d'Oro wines are distributed by United Distributors, and you can purchase them for around $30 at your favorite wine retail store like, The Wine Cellars, Niko's Wine Corner, Perrine's Wine, All Y' alls Wines, J's Beverage Depot, Ansley Wine Merchants, Halls of Fine Wines, Sherlock's Wine, Mac's Beer and Wine, Decatur Wine and Spirits, HopCity Craft Beer and Wine, Tower Wine and Spirits and Green's.