Terra d'Oro (Land of Gold) Winery is located in in Amador County, CA; right on the Sierra Foothills which witness the CA Gold Rush in the mid 1800's. The early prospectors planted vines to quench their thirst. After twenty years of gold rush, the vines survived the miners and became the rootstock for California's young wine industry.
Three distinctive bottling of Terra d'Oro Zinfandel where shared with ten wine enthusiasts, customers of The Wine Cellars and owner Reneé Rowe. Te Wine Cellars is an specialty wine store in Smyrna, GA a town next to Atlanta. At The Wine Cellar's cozy and classy wine bar/cafe area we tasted the wines over a five days period, using vacu vin rubber stoppers to seal the bottles every day. We are sharing tasting notes and preferences of the various wine lovers and myself.
2007 Terra d'Oro Home Vineyard Zinfandel: Vineyard notes, courtesy of the winery: "The entire vineyard was grafted over to Zinfandel in 1994. It is the only Zin vineyard owned that is bilateral cordon trained and used for red wine production. The vineyard is planted in what is called the “Heritage” clone, which produces fruit with very unique characteristics. Unlike traditional Zinfandel, these clusters are very loose with round berries, allowing the grapes to ripen in a much more uniform manner. The Heritage clone also produces wines with exceptionally soft, lush structure that is more characteristic of a Sonoma Valley Zinfandel than an Amador County wine."
- From Reneé Rowe, owner of The Wine Cellars (1st and 5th day): "Lots of baking spices and red fruit with plum on the nose and red Koolaid on the palate, I did enjoy this wine better on the first day."
- From Jennifer Cook (1st and 5th day): "Bouquet of Trident bubble gum and cloves. On the palate not too complex with accentuated soft raspberry flavor."
- From Jen Shifflett (1st day): "This wine has oaky and earthy aromas, feels light-bodied. On the mouth it starts fruit forward and quickly develops tartness."
- From Allyson Bloom (1st day): "Shows earthy and oaky aroma with strong flavors of cranberry and tart cherry and slightly dry finish."
- From Pam Roebuck, advisor at The Wine Cellars: (1st day): "Dark berries, black cherry and moderate oak aromas and flavors, soft on the palate."
- From Jeff Kasian (2nd day): "This wine has eucalyptus on the nose and the finish; bright cherry fruit aroma and flavor. On the palate feels medium-bodied with sweet tannins."
- From Roger Smith (2nd day): "This Zinfandel shows a vibrant red color and has strong cinnamon and ripe berries aromas and flavors; light to medium-bodied."
- Wayne Rowe (2nd day): "This wine feels light-bodied, fruit forward with low tannins."
- From Monte Bruner (3th day): "This wine has an appealing fruit forward nose and great red fruit flavors finishing up slightly dry. A Zin that I will buy."
- From Leslie Krone (3th Day): "Strong perfumy aroma with notes of leather and spice. On the palate you can feel soft tannins with moderate red and dark fruit flavors."
- From Edgar Solis, (1st to 5th day): This wine held up great after been opened for five days. This Zin offers strong earthy aromas with dark cherry, raspberry, tangerine and brown spices notes. On the palate you can enjoy ripe plum, crimini mushrooms and savory flavors with nice hints of black pepper and oak. Well balanced wine with medium tannins and pleasant dry long finish. Pair this wine with your favorite barbecue dish, grilled bison steak, roasted duck and saffron rice with guinea hen.
In Atlanta Terra d'Oro wines are distributed by United Distributors, and you can purchase them for around $30 at your favorite wine retail store like, The Wine Cellars, Niko's Wine Corner, Perrine's Wine, All Y' alls Wines, J's Beverage Depot, Ansley Wine Merchants, Halls of Fine Wines, Sherlock's Wine, Mac's Beer and Wine, Decatur Wine and Spirits, HopCity Craft Beer and Wine, Tower Wine and Spirits and Green's.