Three distinctive bottling of Terra d'Oro Zinfandel where shared with ten wine enthusiasts, customers of The Wine Cellars and owner Reneé Rowe. Te Wine Cellars is an specialty wine store in Smyrna, GA a town next to Atlanta. At The Wine Cellar's cozy and classy wine bar/cafe area we tasted the wines over a five days period, using vacu vin rubber stoppers to seal the bottles every day. We are sharing tasting notes and preferences of the various wine lovers and myself.
2007 Terra d'Oro Deaver 100 Year Old Vines: Vineyard notes, courtesy of the winery: "The fourteen acre piece of the Deaver family vineyard used to make Terra d’Oro Deaver Vineyard 100 Year Old Vine Zinfandel was planted in 1881 but that is not the only reason the fruit is singular and exceptional. As vines mature they produce less but more concentrated fruit. The dry farmed vine’s roots continue to grow deeper into the soil as years pass and pull water and nutrients from multiple soil layers."
- From Reneé Rowe, owner of The Wine Cellars (1st and 5th day): "very bright and vibrant nose, raisins, red and black fruits, rhubarb, cloves and chocolate. On the palate rich red fruit and plum with great tannins, darker fruit on the finish."
- From Jennifer Cook (1st and 5th day): "This wine has grape jelly and raisin aromas and flavors, it is my favorite of the three Zinfandels."
- From Jen Shifflett (1st day): "This wine shows a fruity succulent smell, on the mouth you can feel soft tannins, strawberry flavor and dry finish."
- From Allyson Bloom (1st day): "This Zinfandel has a very fruity smell, feels medium-bodied and smooth with a thick aftertaste and a very dry finish."
- From Pamela Roebuck, advisor at The Wine Cellars: (1st day): "This wine has a medicinal sharp aroma and flavor. It feels light on the palate with mellow koolaid flavor, light tannins for a Zinfandel."
- From Jeff Kasian (2nd day): "This wine has very gentle aromas of red fruit and licorice. On the palate feels light to medium-bodied with unintegrated tannins and short finish."
- From Roger Smith (2nd day): "This wine shows nice and bright red color, red berries aromas and red fruits taste. Light-Bodied Zinfandel with very soft tannins."
- From Monte Bruner (3th day): "Great red and dark berries aromas and flavors with a very dry finish."
- From Leslie Krone (3th day): "Bright Ruby color, raspberries and blackberries on the nose and palate; good balance of tannins and fruit."
- From Edgar Solís: Intense bouquet of cloves, anise, licorice and ripe dark berries. Great complexity on the palate, starting with ripe dark berries and plum progressing to brown spices (allspice, cinnamon and cloves) and ending with a spicy touch of oak. Gentle but firm tannins in a medium-bodied well crafted wine. Enjoy this wine with your favorite grilled steak (beef, bison, boar or ostrich), or have it with fresh pasta with tomato or pesto sauce.
In Atlanta Terra d'Oro wines are distributed by United Distributors, and you can purchase them for around $30 at your favorite wine retail store like, The Wine Cellars, Niko's Wine Corner, Perrine's Wine, All Y' alls Wines, J's Beverage Depot, Ansley Wine Merchants, Halls of Fine Wines, Sherlock's Wine, Mac's Beer and Wine, Decatur Wine and Spirits, HopCity Craft Beer and Wine, Tower Wine and Spirits and Green's.