One of the most important cultural distinctions is religion. Regardless of an individual's religious views, their religious belief is typically held with strong conviction.
Within the workplaces of North America there is a growing diversity of religions. Managers can draw talent out of team members by having an understanding of the cultural paradigm of religion.
Maximizing the culture bridges of religion requires understanding the teachings of the religions of the cultures we seek to reach out to in our employee base, customer pool, and suppliers.
With hundreds of religions in the world this can be a daunting task, if not impossible. From a bridge building aspect, it is therefore important to concentrate on one or two specific religions to begin your own bridge building.
Predominant religions of the world
- Christian 33.03% of the world’s population
- Islam (Muslim) 20.12%
- Hinduism 13.34%
- Buddhism 5.89%
- Atheism 2.36%
- Sikhism 0.39%
- Judaism 0.23%
- Baha’i n/a
This is an excerpt from the Religion Culture Bridge which is part of the Culture Bridges available from Max Impact, a Rochester Hills, Mich., based leadership development and business strategy website offering a host of complimentary information. © Max Impact, used by permission.
Additional workplace culture resources
- Culture Bridges are a look at the contents of the character within each of us. Information is contained on more than 20 different categories of culture.
- Cultural Faux Pas is an interesting quiz about marketing mistakes made by others.
- Culture Quizzes allow you to test your cultural IQ with fun and informative quizzes.
Leading workplace culture books
- Performance Culture provides a simplified approach to create a company culture that has proven to work
- The Great Workplace shows how to build and keep a great workplace and the benefits of doing so.
- Change the Culture, Change the Game offers a breakthrough strategy for energizing an organization and creating accountability for top results.