The 2014 Manischewitz All-Star Cook-Off was held this year in Manhattan, N.Y. The New York Celebrity Examiner, Sue Robinson, attended the Manischewitz event on March 27 to meet with five finalists who vied for the chance to win the $25,000 grand prize. Jamie Brown Miller was announced the winner at this year’s eighth annual food event.
All finalists were given one hour to recreate their submitted dishes.
The prestigious judging panel at this year’s event:
- Helen Rosner, Saveur
- Sharon Franke, Good Housekeeping
- Claire Suddath, Bloomberg Business Week
- Rosie Saferstein, New Jersey Monthly
- Jen Goren, Jewish Community Center (JCC) in Manhattan.
Mrs. Miller’s winning dish, "Waffled Latkes with Matzo Fried Chicken & Spicy Syrup," was an inspired dish from southern comfort eating; her recipe easily won over the five panel judges.
Jamie Brown Miller will receive – the winner of the $25,000 grand prize – cash, a Saveur magazine subscription for one year and a bundle of Maytag kitchen appliances; in addition to a beautiful trophy.
The Napa, Calif. native made her latkes by using a waffle iron; they were kept warm in the oven until the chicken was done.
Having no southern roots whatsoever, Miller discovered this recipe after eating at a restaurant in the Napa Valley.
Congratulations to this year’s winner.
Waffle Latkes with Matzo Fried Chicken & Spicy Syrup recipe:
1 lb. Kosher chicken tenders
½ cup kosher maple syrup
¼ cup plus 2 tbsp. Sriracha, divided
3 kosher eggs, divided
3 ¾ cups Manischewitz® All Natural Chicken Broth
1 5oz. pkg Manischewitz® Matzo Ball Mix
1 6oz. pkg Manischewitz® Potato Pancake Mix
1 Tbsp. + enough for frying kosher vegetable oil, divided
4 cups mixed greens
1. Pour 2 cups of chicken broth into a zip top bag. Add the chicken and seal. Refrigerate for 20 minutes. While the chicken marinates, stir together the maple syrup and ¼ cup of Sriracha in a small bowl. Set aside. Whisk 2 of the eggs with the remaining 2 tablespoons of the Sriracha in a medium bowl. Set aside. Pour matzo mix onto a large plate. Set aside.
2. Warm waffle iron to high heat. In a medium bowl, whisk remaining egg with remaining 1 ¾ cup of the chicken broth. Add the potato pancake mix and stir to combine. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil. Allow to thicken for 5 minutes. Using a quarter of the mixture at a time, cook 4 waffles for 5 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Keep warm on a plate in a 150 degree oven.
3. While waiting for the waffles to cook, make the chicken. Pour vegetable oil into a large skillet and bring to medium high heat. Drain chicken from the broth, then add to the egg mixture, stirring to coat. One piece at a time, remove chicken from egg and Sriracha mixture and dip into the matzo mix, turning and pressing to coat. Add half of the chicken tenders to the oil and cover. Cook for 2 minutes, then turn and cook uncovered for 2 more minutes. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels, sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and keep warm in the oven while you cook the remaining chicken in the same manner.
4. Place one waffle on each of four plates. Add equal amounts of the mixed greens and chicken tenders to each, then drizzle with the spicy syrup to taste.
If you like this article, get e-mail updates whenever a new article is posted by the New York Celebrity Examiner, click the ‘subscribe’ link located at the bottom of the page.
Other articles published by Sue can be found here:
©Sue Robinson, All Rights Reserved. No part of this article or personal photos may be reproduced without prior permissions from the author. The first-two sentence of this article is permitted for reposting with a link reverting back to the original article source.
Winner of 2014 Manischewitz All-Star Cook-Off announced
The New York Celebrity Examiner was there to congratulate this year's winner of the 2014 Manischewitz All-Star Cook-Off event at the Jewish Community Center in Manhattan, N.Y. on March 27.
Winner of 2014 Manischewitz All-Star Cook-Off is Jamie Brown Miller from Napa, Calif.
This year's winning dish at the 2014 Manischewitz All-Star Cook-Off, “Waffled Latkes with Matzo Fried Chicken & Spicy Syrup,” created by Jamie Brown Miller of Napa, Calif., was held in Manhattan, N.Y. at the Jewish Community Center on March 27.
Jamie Brown Miller is the winner of 2014 Manischewitz All-Star Cook-Off
A very stunned Jamie Brown Miller of Napa, Calif. after winning the $25,000 grand prize for her recipe, “Waffled Latkes with Matzo Fried Chicken & Spicy Syrup.” The 2014 Manischewitz All-Star Cook-Off was held in Manhattan, N.Y. at the Jewish Community Center on March 27.
The 2014 Manischewitz All-Star finalists
Meet the Manischewitz All-Star finalists: (from left to right)
Ronna Sue Farley, Rockville, MD – Beef Tenderloin Puffs
Naylet LaRochelle, Miami, Fla. – Halibut Couscous
Jamie Brown-Miller, Napa, Calif (middle holding trophy) with her winning recipe, “Waffled Latkes with Matzo Fried Chicken & Spicy Syrup
Dina Burat, New York, N.Y. – Latke-crusted Chicken
Joe Carver, Philadelphia, Pa. – Bubby’s Noodle Strudel