That all depends. For a fact, it will likely cost at least a $1.4 billion and probably more that taxpayers will pay for. There are a host of inconveniences and insults on the common person, including soldiers and veterans that CNN covers in the story posted here at the link below.
1. The democratic republic of the United States of America doesn't work very well.
2. Dysfunctional government can happen at the hands of politicians even when they are given the best blueprint for governance in the world.
3. American people have elected some very poor performers to office, and just see the results.
4. There is a great economic disparity in the US with many poor people, an evaporating Middle Class and few very rich ones who control most of the wealth.
5. The Republican House of Representatives show no compassion for poor and needy people, while they also show no ability to grow the economy.
6. The Republican Party shows little or no respect for the office of the President of the United States, so why should anyone else?
In the CNN article titled “10 ways a government shutdown would affect your daily life, by David Simpson and Saeed Ahmed, they summarize:
“Two previous shutdowns -- in late 1995 and early 1996 -- cost the country $1.4 billion
You'd have to keep paying taxes
Furloughed workers would eventually get paid
You'd see delays in passport and gun permit processing”