For my version of these portobello burgers, I brushed the caps with balsamic vinegar, grilled them, and topped with Swiss cheese instead of the Havarti called for in the original.
- 2 portobello mushroom caps
- 1/2 t olive oil
- 1/2 t Balsamic vinegar
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 slices light Havarti or Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup roasted red pepper, sliced
- 2 slices whole-grain bread, toasted
- Brush portobello mushroom with olive oil and vinegar; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Load toast with cheese and grilled red pepper slices.