For my version of these portobello burgers, I brushed the caps with balsamic vinegar, grilled them, and topped with Swiss cheese instead of the Havarti called for in the original.
- 2 portobello mushroom caps
- 1/2 t olive oil
- 1/2 t Balsamic vinegar
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 slices light Havarti or Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup roasted red pepper, sliced
- 2 slices whole-grain bread, toasted
- Brush portobello mushroom with olive oil and vinegar; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Load toast with cheese and grilled red pepper slices.
Grilled red pepper
Here is a photo of a grilled red bell pepper. I lightly grilled it and then steamed it for about a minute in a paper bag. It peels so easily after that!
This is a halved grilled portobello topped with melty Swiss cheese. The caps were first brushed with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. It really adds tons of flavor to the finished dish.
The easy beginning to grilled portobello mushroom caps. We had Balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil and light Swiss cheese. It was served with grilled red bell pepper.