Today is Superbowl. It is the time when many people are busy tailgating and eating chips, salsa, hot dogs etc. There are many items in Indian cuisine which are good for a Super bowl party. Here are some items that would make any Superbowl party a sure hit.
1. Bread Pakoras: Bread pakoras are made using bread filled with paneer (cottage cheese) along with some spicy chutney. They can be eaten as snacks or can also be used for a filling school lunch. Store bought paneer is available in many brands like Nanak, Shamiana, Gopi etc and available in Indian groceries in the valley.
2. Mini samosas: Mini samosas that can be made using any kind of filling and are a sure hit in any Super bowl party. Samosas are fried pastry with a savory filling like potatoes, chick peas etc http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samosa. They can be made in advance and deep fried just before the party for a tasty last minute snack. The crust can be made from scratch (like a pie crust) but a quicker alternative is to use uncooked tortillas. So happy munching during the game.
3. Puri Chana: Looking for inspiration for new recipes to serve during Super Bowl that would be fiery, spicy and hot? How about a common Indian snack called puri-chana? It is basically fried bread along with a spicy, hot chickpea curry. With some twists and tweaks, this time-tested recipe could easily be modified as a Super Bowl appetizer that would serve many people. In order to same time (and also calories) I thought of an easy way to make this. So instead of kneading dough to make puris, I substituted them with uncooked tortilla quarters baked to resemble mini wedge shaped puris (similar to nachos). Also, I figured out a simpler method to make the chickpeas. Topped with some salad, these mini nacho/puris with chana are good for any tailgating party.
4. Vegetable balls: A meatless meatball made from cottage cheese is a nice substitute that can satisfy all kinds of palettes. It is spicy, chili and tangy, so one can enjoy all three tastes without compromising on flavor.
5. Mozzarella bread rolls: Bread rolls are easy to make appetizers, made of bread slices filled with any kind of stuffing and rolled and deep fried. They are different from dinner rolls as they are stuffed and deep fried. For a little more on bread rolls check the article http://www.aayisrecipes.com/2005/09/12/bread-roll/