Genealogical events to be held in the metro Atlanta area during October 2013 include:
- 2 October – FamilySearch, Cyndi’s List, Family Tree Magazine, and book of the month Inheritance in America – From Colonial Times to the Present by Carole Shammas will be the topics discussed during the Genealogy Study Group of Gwinnett meeting starting at 10:00 a.m. The group will meet at the LDS Church, 3355 Sugarloaf Pkwy, Lawrenceville, GA. Contact Terry Manning firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- 5 October – “Clues in Finding Ancestors” will be presented by Maureen Taylor. The program is sponsored by the Georgia Genealogical Society. The program will be held from 10:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. at the Dunwoody United Methodist Church, 1548 Mt. Vernon Rd, Dunwoody, GA.
- 6 October – “Local Courthouse Records” will be presented by Angela Pendleton, Judicial Supervisor for the Clerk of Superior Court in Clayton County Georgia. Our Genealogy Group meets at 3:00 p.m. at Clayton State University, 2000 Clayton State Blvd, Morrow, GA 30260.
- 8 October – “Documenting Cherokee Heritage” will be presented by Linda Woodward Geiger, CG, CGL. The monthly webinar is sponsored by the Friends of the National Archives Southeast. The free webinar will start at 2:00 p.m. registration is required.
- 11 October – Celebrate Georgia Archives month at the Lunch and Learn program “The Georgia State University Archives and Special Collections” presented by GSU Staff. The program will start at noon; bring your lunch; meet at 5800 Jonesboro Rd, Morrow, GA 30260. Everyone is welcome!
- 19 October – Georgia Archives and Genealogy Day will be held at the archives at 5800 Jonesboro Rd, Morrow, GA, 30260. Admission is free and the program will run from 9:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. For more information read GeorgiaArchivesMatters.
- 21 October – “Newspaper research; Sources and techniques for finding interesting ancestor stories” will be presented by Kathy McCannon for the Genealogy Study Group. The group meets monthly at the Northlake-Barbara Loar Library, 3772 LaVista Rd, Tucker, GA 30084. The program will start at 10:15 a.m. Everyone is welcome; join us for lunch at an area restaurant after the meeting.
- 22 October – ‘Photos/Editing” will be the topic presented by Beth Mitchell at the Cobb County Genealogy Society meeting. The meeting from 7:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. will be held at the First Presbyterian Church, 189 Church St, Marietta, GA.
- 27 October – A basic genealogy study group will meet at 7:00 p.m. at the LDS Church, 3355 Sugarloaf Pkwy, Lawrenceville, GA. Kristi Manuel plans the program. Contact the church for time and other information.
Celebrate Georgia Archives Month during October 2013 and every month, thank the archive staff! Check out the Georgia Archives Month page on Facebook! While on Facebook check out my genealogical postings Selma Blackmon.
Send information about your genealogical or historical event to Selma Blackmon.