Maui has spectacular snorkeling and there are many places throughout the island to see a wide variety of fish and turtles.
Here is a list of the Top 5 Snorkel Spots on West Maui:
1. Honolua Bay. This is one of Maui's most well-known snorkel locations. But it does not have a beach, as the shoreline is filled with large rocks and it's a little difficult to get into the water. But once in Honolua Bay on a calm and clear morning, the snorkeling is spectacular.
Located past Kapalua on Hwy. 30 past Kapalua, the road winds along the shoreline for about a mile and then you come to a lookout on the left-hand side of the car. Pull into the lookout to check-out the snorkeling conditions. If the water looks calm and clear, continue on the road and you will see places to park. There are clearly visible paths through the rainforest to Honolua Bay.
2. Kapalua Bay. This is a very popular beach on Lower Honoapiilani Road, and the entrance is next to Merriman's Restaurant http://www.merrimanshawaii.com/maui and the Napili Kai http://www.napilikai.com resort. Look for a sign directing you into the Kapalua Bay beach area, and then enjoy a truly outstanding snorkel location on west Maui.
3. Napili Bay. Situated very close to Kapalua Bay, Napili Bay is very popular with families that have children of all ages. It's bordered by the famous Gazebo restaurant to the south, and the Napili Kai resort to the north.
Napili Bay offers outstanding snorkeling and is one of the best places to see Hawaii's Giant Sea Turtles (Honu in Hawaiian). Park along Lower Honoapiilani Road if you're not staying in a nearby resort.
4. Airport Beach is at the Hwy 30 intersection with Kai Ala Drive. Turn toward the ocean from Hwy. 30 and go straight into the beach park. The Kaanapali Ocean Resort http://www.westinkaanapali.com is to your right after you turn off Hwy. 30.
Airport Beach has a grassy area and excellent restroom and cook-out facilities. It does not look like a good snorkeling location, until you put your mask and fins on and enter the water. It's a great spot to see eels and many types and species of Hawaiian fish.
5. Black Rock. This may be Maui's most popular and famous snorkel place on the island, but it's also one of the most crowded locations with tourists and visitors. Situated at the edge of the Sheraton Maui Resort and Spa http://www.sheraton-maui.com/kaanapali, you'll always see a wide variety of Hawaiian fish and often see a turtle.
Early in the morning, Black Rock boasts calm water and clear visibility. It's a great location for families with small children, and if you're staying in the Kaanapali Resort area it's a "must stop" snorkel location. Also, there are several nearby beach stands that rent snorkel equipment.
Want to snorkel on Maui? Make sure you visit these five snorkel locations on the west side of Maui. All are very good places to snorkel and spend a day or half-day on the beach.
More Hawaii Visitor Info!
Maui Visitor Information http://www.maui-tourist.com is all about Maui.
Ululani's Shave Ice http://www.ululanisshaveice.com is Maui's best shave ice and has four locations on Maui.