Kids want to be in fashion and they want to have the same stuff as their friends, but they also want to be unique.. It is possible to get supplies on a budget, and thrift stores can be a wonderful place to search for the perfect vintage clothes (for older kids) but there are a few essentials that kids should be able to choose for themselves. These small expenses will make them feel special and up-to-date. These additions to the traditional school list include:
- Backpacks. Each child wants to have the right way to carry their supplies and books to and from school
- Shoes. Kids want to fit in and be part of the 'in' crowd. Having shoes like everyone else's can help them feel part of the group. They may just need one pair of "cool" sneakers to make their year special.
- Hair accessories (girls). There are some pretty great headbands out there that seem to be all the rage this year. Items such as this can even dress up the school uniform look.
- Binders. If your child has a favorite group, TV show, movie, comic or superhero, what better way to announce it and find like-minded friends?
- Eye glasses. When kids need glasses, it can seem like a tragedy (especially when they are older). Letting your kids choose reasonably-priced eyewear, be it from WalMart, JC Penney or another discount store can help them feel more confident.