[WARNING: This article contains spoilers about the third season of “American Horror Story,” which aired on FX from October of 2013 to January of 2014.]
Supreme actress Jessica Lange spent her third season on "American Horror Story" (Coven) portraying the Supreme witch of her time, Fiona Goode. Spoiled and self-centered, as a teen she hastened her rise to the title by killing her predecessor and enlisting her henchman Spalding (Denis O'Hare) to clean up her mess.
An exceptionally powerful witch, a strong leader (when she wants to be), and impeccably stylish, Fiona admits she’s been a terrible Supreme, abandoning her coven - and her daughter - to pursue her own desires. She’s been diagnosed with terminal cancer and she’ll do anything to win back health, youth and immortality. When asked by Papa Legba (Lance Reddick), the show’s Vodou personification of the devil, if she’d cripple her own daughter, she says quickly yes, whatever it takes. But he’s unable to make a deal when he discovers she’s not only heartless, but also soulless (literally).
One of Hollywood’s most lauded actresses, Lange earned six Academy Award nominations and two wins - for “Tootsie” and “Blue Sky.” She lost out on her greatest performance in “Frances” to THE most nominated actress, Meryl Streep, who won that year for her equally incredible achievement in “Sophie’s Choice.”
“AHS” creator Ryan Murphy handpicked Lange for the pivotal role of Constance Langdon, mother of Tate (Evan Peters), grandmother of the AntiChrist, and neighbor to the Harmons in the show’s first season Murder House. After winning the Prime Time Emmy for Best Supporting Actress that season, she took on a primary role in the show’s second season Asylum. As Sister Jude, she went from running the institution – with an iron hand - to being a patient there herself and finally dying peacefully in the home of her once-enemy, later friend Kit.
Lange has said next season’s Freak Show will be her last on “AHS.” Fans hope she'll change her mind. Set in the 1950s in Jupiter, Florida, she’ll be playing the German expatriate leader of the group of “freaks” in one of the last shows of its kind. While waiting for the Freak Show premiere in October, enjoy these delicious quotes from the wicked tongue of the unexampled Fiona Goode, accompanied by some spectacular fan art paying homage to The Supreme.
TOP 20 FIONA GOODE QUOTES:
20. Detective Sanchez: Are you in charge here?
Fiona: I'm Fiona Goode. I'm in charge everywhere.
Original artwork by © Lauren Skinner. Used with the artist's permission. Check out more from this artist on her Deviant Art page.
19. God knows all the money in the world can't buy good taste.
18. You teach them to cower. and to hide in the shadows. Well, there are no shadows, not anymore. Do you really think with Twitter and Faceback that a witch does anything at all she won't be videotaped and turned into some viral freak show like a dog who says "I love you"?
17. You don't want to talk to me? Fine. Then give what's in this box a wash and set.
16. I took down your entire company with about as much effort as it takes for me to mix myself a Rob Roy. And Marie... Marie is immortal, for Christ's sake. You think we're worried about guns? Which reminds me... I need a drink. Waiter. Martini, please. Filthy.
15. Is everyone back from the dead, or have I already died and gone to heaven? Well, I suppose it would be hell, you know.
14. [To Spalding] What's the matter? Cat got your tongue?
13. Who's the baddest witch in town?
12. Who let this charcoal briquette back in?
Original artwork by Kathi M. Used with the artist's permission. Check out more from this artist on her Deviant Art page.
11. I used to think I understood pain. A burn, a cut, a broken bone. Heartbreak... But this is as if I've been dipped in the River Styx and all the suffering of all the souls that ever were or will be has soaked my body. My body doesn't belong to me - not that I'd want it in this state. I'm starting to look less Samantha and more Endora every day.
10. [To Madame LaLaurie] C'mon, Mary Todd Lincoln. I'll buy you a drink.
9. [To Papa Legba] She’s innocent! Mostly… She killed the neighbor, but the bitch had it coming.
8. [To Joan]: You know, I've never understood you Bible-thumpers and your hypocrisy towards sex. I know, behind closed doors, you are the biggest perverts of all. Joan: Your student threw a knife at me. It missed my head by three inches. Fiona: Yeah, she has to work on her aim.
7. Our coven mourns.
After facing so many trials, defending ourselves against onslaught. Forging enemies into friends. The witches of Miss Robichaux's Academy have fought for their lives, and won. And so, it is with great sadness we must say goodbye to Nan... who fell in the tub.
Original artwork by Olenka. Used with the artist's permission. See more from this artist on her Facebook page.
6. This coven doesn't need a new Supreme. It needs a new rug.
5. When witches don't fight, we burn.
4. What are we talking about? College boys? Taken in the prime of their lives, such a tragedy. Almost makes you want to cry, doesn't it? But then, the world's not gonna miss a bunch of a--holes in Ed Hardy t-shirts.
3. I could have you banished. Permanent exile. You know what that means, Myrtle--Paramus, New Jersey, toxic waste... outlet malls.
2. [To Cordelia] Don't make me drop a house on you.
1. I can’t spend eternity here. It reeks of fish, and cat piss. What is this, knotty pine?!