Want to be part of the action but can’t make it to New Orleans? No worries. Pick up some authentic Louisiana fare at your local market and whip up your own celebration at home.
Top 10 New Orleans Ingredients
1. Red beans (for red beans and rice)
2. Rice (for jambalaya, gumbo, etouffee's, red beans and rice, etc.)
3. The Holy trinity (onions, celery and bell pepper. Every dish starts with these three ingredients)
4. Hot sauce (the condiment of choice)
5. Oysters (po-boys, stew, gumbo, etc.)
6. Shrimp (po-boys, shrimp and grits, gumbo, etc.)
7. Andouille sausage (jambalaya, etouffee’s, gumbo, gravy, etc.)
8. Fish fry (time saving)
9. Cajun spices (pre-made or make your own blackening spice)
10. Okra (fresh or frozen for gumbo, stews, stuffings)
Other ingredients that will bring a little New Orleans into your home are: redfish; eggplant; shredded lettuce-mayo-bread and butter pickles (this combo on all sandwiches is called “dressed”); Zapp’s potato chips; Barq’s root beer soda; Abita or Dixie beer.