It’s time to start planning your Halloween party. You’ve got the costumes figured out and all the decorations, but what about the food? It’s that spooky time of year where the grosser the better, so you get to be creative and come up with lots of disgusting ways of serving some actually delicious treats. As you plan out your Halloween menu, here are a few tips and some great recipes to spark your creativity.
- Get creative with containers. Why serve something in a regular old bowl when you can serve it up in a plastic skull? Or a hollowed out pumpkin?
- It is all about the labels. Sure, chocolate covered dates are delicious, but when you put a label next to them that says “chocolate cockroaches” then the tasty treat suddenly takes on a whole new appearance.
- Try molds. There are a lot of fun ways you can use that brain Jello mold. Fill it with everything from meatloaf to cake and you’ve got a variety of tasty brain treats.
- Use props. Grab some plastic spiders at the dollar store, make sure to clean them well, and then use them to decorate your food easily. Or try picking up some doll parts at your local craft store and sticking them in your cupcakes. There are lots of fun props you can use that will give your food a spooky feel.
- Don’t be afraid of food coloring. You can add a few drops into just about anything to make it look gross or bloody.
- Hot dogs can be cut up a variety of ways to make tasty and disgusting worms.
- Freeze some water in a plastic glove to make an ice-hand that can float in your punch and keep it cold at the same time.