The 64th Annual American Royal ProRodeo comes to Kansas City in Hale Area Friday Sept. 27 and Saturday Sept. 28. Prior to the rodeo there will be the Miss Rodeo Missouri pageant. Contestants will compete in speaking and modeling with the winner announced Saturday night. Before each rodeo performance there will be a family fun festival including face painting, roping, mechanical bull and a petting zoo. The nightly rodeo will include bull riding, bareback riding, team roping and barrel racing. After the rodeo on Friday night the Outlaw Junkies will play and on Saturday Edge of Forever.
The Overland Park Fall Festival is on Saturday Sept. 28 in the downtown district of Overland Park, Kan. The festival will include a fun run, parade, craft fair and concerts. Entertainment will include the Overland Park Civic Band, Dixie Doodlers, Jim Crosgrove and the Hiccups and the 3 Amigos among others. There will be food and beverage available.
Several sporting events will be held in Kansas City this weekend: The Kansas City Chiefs take on the New York Giants on Sunday, Sporting Kansas City plays Philadelphia on Friday night, The Kansas City Magic All-Star Celebrity Basketball Game and the Double Ogg Dare Festival Family Adventure and Challenge will be held on Sunday.
Live theatre Sept. 27 to Sept. 29:
- Barn Players: 6219 Martway, Mission, “Spring Awakening”, closes Oct. 6.
- Coterie Theatre: Crown Center, “Red Badge Variations”, closes Oct. 5.
- Fishtank Performance Studio: 1715 Wyandotte, “Gruesome Playground Injuries”, closes Oct. 13.
- H & R Block City Stage Theater: Union Station, “How I Became a Pirate”, closes Nov. 9.
- Kansas City Repertory Theatre: Copaken Stage, “The Tallest Tree in the Forest”, closes Sept. 28.
- Metropolitan Ensemble Theatre: 3614 Main, “The Rainmaker”, closes Oct. 6.
- Quality Hill Playhouse: 303 W. 10th, “Your Hit Parade”, closes Oct. 27.
- Studio 116: James C. Olson Performing Arts Center, 4949 Cherry, “Seven Guitars”, closes Oct. 6.
- Unicorn Theatre: 3828 Main, “Venus in Fur”, closes Sept. 29.