The Maker Faire comes to Union Station on Saturday and Sunday. Earlier this month President Barack Obama chatted with inventors at the Maker Faire in Washington D.C. The event at Union Station features creations from robots to energy devices. Admission is $12 per day or a two-day pass for $19.50. The event includes a barbeque contest and live music.
The Great Lenexa Barbecue Battle takes place Friday and Saturday at Sar-Ko-Par Trails Park in Lenexa. The contest includes 185 participants who are not required to supply food to visitors. Vendors include Hy-Vee, the Lions Club, and Angies Italian Ice. The rock band Nace Brothers performs both day. Friday admission is $5 and free on Saturday.
Several sporting events are in Kansas City this weekend: CASA SuperHero 5K Run/Walk at Town Center on Sunday, T-Bones vs. Gary SouthShore Friday through Sunday at Community America Ballpark, FC Kansas City takes on Portland at Durwood Stadium on Saturday, and Tour de Lakes takes place at Longview Recreation Center on Saturday.
Theater June 27 through June 29:
- Coterie Theatre: Crown Center, “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang,” closes August 3.
- Goppert Theatre: Avila College 119th and Wornall, “A Day in the Office: A Musical Parody,” closes June 29.
- H&R Block City Stage Theater: Union Station, “Cinderella,” closes June 28.
- Higher Ground Hotel: 200 N. Delaware, Independence, “The Mistaken Prognostication,” closes June 28.
- Living Room Theatre: 1818 McGee, “Master of the Universe,” closes June 29.
- Mystery Train Theater: Several locations, “Legally Dead,” closes August 16.
- Off Center Theatre: Crown Center, “Lysistrata Jones: A Musical Comedy,’ closes July 13.
- Quality Hill Playhouse: 303 W. 10, “Rhapsody in Gershwin,” closes July 6.
- Southmoreland Park: 46 and Oak, “Winter’s Tale,” closes July 6.
- Theatre in the Park: 7900 Renner, Lenexa, “Guys and Dolls,” closes June 28.
- Unicorn Theatre: 3828 Main, “By The Way, Meet Vera Stark,” closes June 29.