Just a few weeks ago, the Cedar Rapids Pro Wrestling Examiner looked at the top ten wrestlers of 2012. Now it is time to take a look forward instead of back and find the ten wrestlers to keep an eye on in 2013.
10. Big E. Langston: Dolph Ziggler’s new ally has every bit as much potential as his mentor. NXT fans know that Big E. has been around WWE for a very long time now, but the massive former University of Iowa football player really came in to his own in 2012 as the second ever NXT champion. Langston has a huge upside and may be the next power-based superstar to make it to the main event.
9. The Batiri: Chikara’s monstrous trio has picked up a new pair of mentors in the form of Delirious and Ophidian. While Obariyon, Kodama and Kobald failed in their contests with the Spectral Envoy in 2012, they also proved that they are one of the best trios now in wrestling. 2013 should be a huge breakout year for them with massive potential to win this year’s King of Trios tournament.
8. Gran Akuma: After returning in a big way in 2012, Gran Akuma seems set for a huge year as a singles star in Chikara. One of only a few unaligned talents in Chikara, he seems set to rise to the top of the roster. But can even Akuma unseat Grand Champion Eddie Kingston. He definitely looks ready to try.
7. Tommaso Ciampa: Ciampa seemed ready to be the breakout star of Ring of Honor in 2012 when an injury left him on the shelf. While Adam Cole and Michael Elgin rose towards the top of the ROH roster, Ciampa sat at home. While Tommaso seemed ready for an ROH television title before his sidelining injury, 2013 should be the year for him to make his mark.
6. Marti Belle: The independent wrestling star seems set to be the breakout female star of wrestling in 2013. With a major role in WSU already set and as a rising star in Shimmer, Marti has received international attention. With roles now in EVOLVE, AIW and beyond, the beautiful Belle is ready to breakout in a huge way.
Stay tuned for the top five stars to watch in 2013 soon.