The weather will turn soon and so will the leaves. The month of September and early October is the time to get prepared for the onset of a cold, snowy winter. The Fall is also a perfect time to reap the rewards of the past and present season.
Follow this "to-do" list then snuggle down, comfy, cozy, knowing that you've prepared for hibernation.
1. Shop for new clothes and donate the old ones. For every new item you buy, toss one old one of similar design. Example: You purchase 2 new sweaters. Donate one old sweater to a charity. This will keep your wardrobe manageable and your closets updated.
2. Gather in the produce from your garden and preserve. Either do some canning or freeze the fruits and vegetables from your efforts early in the season.
3. Visit local farmers markets for items you couldn't grow. Farmer's market produce will be fresh and local and perfect, JUST as perfect for preserving as your own home grown vegetables.
4. Visit the apple orchard. We have a lot of fruit orchards in Upstate New York. Take advantage and enjoy a ride through the orchard, picking your own apples.
5. Rake the leaves for a clean looking yard. You can also make big huge piles and have some fun leaping into the piles. Keep in mind that you'll have to do more raking after the fun but the weather will be cool, crisp, and fresh. Great way to get a little exercise!
6. Take a ride in the car, load up your bikes and tour the Adirondacks viewing the colorful Fall foliage. Pack a healthy lunch and have a picnic.
7. Take advantage of sales. Shop for reduced prices and get some good deals. Think holiday season!
8. Make a healthy eating and fitness plan when the weather gets nasty and you're stuck inside. Being mindful of food during the winter means less pounds to take off when bikini season rolls around again. Make a list of exercises or indoor activities to keep you busy and keep your muscles working.
9. Gather up wood and store in a safe, dry place, easily accessible so you can build warm winter fires. Lower the heat and rely on the fire for a reduced heating bill.
10. Get your game shirts on! It's football season! Have some fun and buy a ticket to a pro game. Better yet: support your local schools and see a high school or college game. Make a plan for a good tail gate party menu and have fun with friends.
New York State is a beautiful place to be in the Fall and Winter. Make your own list. How are you going to make the best of the next 6 months?