Here is a list of steps required at once, following sufficient proof of chemical attack against Syrians by its military:
1. U.S. and allies prepare an attack by rebel forces backed by U.S. and allies to assassinate Bashar al-Assad.
2. Following Assad’s elimination, work at once to support rebel leaders in gaining complete control of Syria achieving a stand-down by Syrian military forces.
3. Support rebels in standing up a democratic government via development and adoption of a new constitution.
4. Provide economic development incentives commensurate with rebels agreeing to a democratic approach to government.
5. Provide support from a coalition organization with the U.S. being a member, but not necessarily in the lead.
Under the circumstances, nothing short of Assad’s elimination is an acceptable outcome.
"If chemical attack proved, France says, nations should respond ‘with force’
By Loveday Morris and Karen DeYoung, Updated: Thursday, August 22, 12:07 PM E-mail the writers
BEIRUT — France on Thursday raised the possibility of international intervention in Syria if there is solid proof that President Bashar al-Assad used chemical weapons against his people.
Activists, meanwhile, struggled to confirm that more than 1,000 people had perished, as experts warned that vital physical evidence could dissipate unless a U.N. inspection team — already in the country to investigate previous claims of poisonous gas use — was given permission to visit the site."