Sliders have been quite the craze over the last ten years or so. Most sports bars, food trucks, and progressive restaurants serve them up. Whether served with an ice cold beer, sparkling proseco or a glass of chardonnay, sliders aren't just for the super bowl anymore.
The July 2014 issue of Cooking Light magazine suggests throwing a July 4th "sliders and sparklers" party. Serve up a variety of sliders and place them in a pyramid shape on a platter. Top them off with a sparkly candle. Each guest should contribute a bottle of something that sparkles or bubbles up such as champagne or proseco.
Here are 4 party slider recipes from Cooking Light magazine and Bakedbree.com.
- All-American bacon cheeseburger - Cooking Light has suggested that this little gem is a classic that is big on flavor and a favorite among the boys.
- Bourbon-peach barbecue pulled pork sliders - These decadent little marvels are a "saucy mess" in a really good way. They take a lot of time, but the result is well worth it.
- Black bean sliders - For the vegetarian or health-conscious crowd that won't ever skimp on flavor, create these black bean babies.
- BBQ portobello sliders - These sliders are a favorite among the meat eater or the vegetarian with a kicked up barbecue flavor.
The average serving size of sliders is 3 per person. So take this number into account when making these 4th of July creations. Always round up because this tends to be the first empty platter.
Enjoy the 4th.
Classic Bacon Cheeseburger Slider
Recipe from Cooking Light magazine July 2014 issue - Cookinglight.com
- 4 bacon slices
- 1 pound of lean ground beef
- 11/2 teaspoons olive oil
- garlic powder
- ground pepper
- cooking spray
- 2 slices of cheddar cheese quartered
- 8 teaspoons ketchup
- 8 slider buns
- 4 teaspoons minced, fresh onion
- 8 green lettuce leaves
- Cook bacon until crisp, drain.
- Combine beef in a medium bowl with all spices and mix well. Divide into 8 equal portions of 3 inch patties.
- Spray pan or grill and add patties cooking 3 minutes until seared. Flip and top each with 1 piece of cheese, cover and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes until beef is done and cheese is melted.
- Spread ketchup, onions, one leaf of lettuce, one patty, and 1 bacon piece on side of bun.
- Top ingredients with other side of the bun and enjoy.
BBQ pork slider
Cooking Light Magazine July 2014 slider recipe
- 11/2 tablespoons canola mayonaise
- 1 tsp sugar
- 11/2 cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup cabbage and carrot slaw
- 1/4 cup thinly vertically sliced red onion
- 8 ounces slow cooker pulled pork with bourbon peach barbecue sauce
- 8 slider buns toasted
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a bowl. Add coleslaw and onion and toss to combine.
- Divide pork evenly among bottom halves of buns and top each clider with 2 heaping tablespoons slaw and top half of bun.
How to make pork and bourbon peace sauce:
Heat a large skillet and combine salt, pepper and paprika and rub evenly over pork. Coat pan with cooking spray and cook pork ten minutes until it is brown on all sides. Next, place pork in a 6-quart slow cooker. To the hot skillet, add 1/2 cup chicken broth, 1/3 cup molasses, 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper, and 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar. Bring this mixture to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add 1/2 cup peach preserves and continue stirring with a whisk. Pour mixture over pork and top with 2 cups of onion and 5 thinly sliced garlic cloves. Cover and cook on low for 6 1/2 hours. Remove pork from pan reserving the liquid and shred the pork with two forks. Remove the onion with a slotted spoon and add to the pork.
Place a large ziplock bag inside a 4 cups glass measuring cup. Pour remaining cooking liquid into the bag and let stand 10 minutes. The fat will rise to the top. Seal bag and snip off 1 corner of the bag, drain drippings into a skillet stopping before the fat reaches the opening. Discard the fat. Stir 1/4 cup of bourbon into the drippings and bring to a boil. Cook 10 minutes until mixture is reduced to 1 1/2 cups. Combine 2 tablespoons cold water and cornstarch in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk and add cornstarch mixture to sauce stirring until thickened.
Drizzle sauce over pork; and toss gently to coat.
Black Bean sliders
Recipe from bakedbree.com
- 1 can of black beans, drained (reserve some of the liquid)
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 TBSP taco seasoning
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- In a large bowl combine everything except corn and black beans. Mix well. Then add the black beans and corn.
- Mash with a fork until still chunky. If the mixture is too dry add some of the liquid from the black beans.
- Let the mixture rest in the refrigerator for a few minutes. Shape into small patties and let sit in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Heat a large pan over low heat and add olive oil. If cooking over high heat use grape seed oil. Cook the burgers for 5 minutes on each side. Assemble the burgers with toppings.
cilantro, salsa, sour cream, guacamole, Monterey jack cheese
BBQ portobello sliders
Slider recipe from www.yummly.com
- 6 baby portobello mushrooms
- 6 slider buns
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 sliced purple onion
- 3 ounces of gouda cut into squares
- 1 sliced avocado
- 1/2 cup bbq sauce for drizzling
- Brush olive oil onto mushrooms and season each side of mushrooms with spices.
- Barbecue the mushrooms
- Assemble slider with mushroom, slice of onion, gouda, slice of avocado and drizzle bbq sauce. Place top on slider and enjoy.