In the 40-day period between Ash Wednesday and Easter known as Lent or the Lenten season, some Christians observe the season by Prayer and Fasting, described as two of the most powerful Spiritual Disciplines. During a period of focused devotion to developing a closer relationship with God, those who fast can receive benefits, particularly in a spiritual way. For those desiring to know more about how to undertake a fast, the following list offers seven tips for those desiring to practice fasting.
- As with any endeavor, planning is essential for a successful outcome. Before you begin your fast, you should “Plan Your Fast.”
- Preparation is key, first of all, in a spiritual context, for many of the benefits obtained from fasting are spiritual, and those who fast should be spiritually prepared before beginning the process.
- Going without food can dramatically impact the body. Preparing your body physically beforehand can be helpful when undertaking a fast.
- With a variety of types of fasts to choose from, those who choose to fast should be aware of some of the options in order to determine what is best for them.
- In addition, there is a wide range of time periods for fasting: from one or two days to more extensive periods of time. The length of your fast is another consideration.
- When undertaking an endeavor such as fasting, one can expect to see noticeable effects--spiritually, emotionally, as well as physically.
- Just as one makes plans before beginning a fast, one should determine beforehand how to end a fast.