A new year of school is right around the corner! With hectic schedules soon arriving for both moms and busy college students, it’s all about saving time. Target and famed cookbook author Ana Quincoces shared with me five Latin inspired lunch ideas that are sure to be a delicious hit.
These ideas come from “5 School Lunch Ideas from Ana Quincoces,” and they feature lunch recipes full of Latin culture and flavor. Below are my three favorites. Check them all out at Target's A Bullseye Look.
"Create special lunchtime memories of your own with these fun and easy school lunch ideas for your kids! These recipes are the ultimate brown bag upgrade, especially when packed in chic Target lunch boxes," Ana Quinconces says.
BBQ Chicken and Black Bean Tostadas
You will need:
1 cup shredded rotisserie chicken
2 tbsp. Market Pantry BBQ sauce
1/4 cup Market Pantry shredded cheese
2 tbsp. Market Pantry ranch dressing
1/2 canned Market Pantry black beans drained
4 medium corn tostadas
Lemon juice (to drizzle)
1. Combine the chicken with the BBQ sauce and place in one side of the container.
2. Drain the black beans and place in another side of the container.
3. Cut and dice the avocado and place in the third side of the container. Avocado Tip: Squeeze a little lemon juice over diced avocado before placing in a small plastic re-sealable container to keep its vibrant green color.
4. Place corn tostadas in one plastic bag and shredded cheese in another plastic bag.
5. When ready to serve, place corn tostadas on a flat surface and add 1 1/2 tbsp. of the chicken mixture and 1 1/2 tbsp. of the bean mixture. Add as much or as little avocado as desired.
6. Top with shredded cheese and roll up. Drizzle ranch. Repeat with the remaining tostadas.
No Bake Granola Bars
You will need:
2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
2 cups crispy rice cereal
1/2 cup Market Pantry raisins
1/2 cup shredded coconut
3/4 cup Market Pantry almonds, sliced
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup Market Pantry brown sugar
3/4 cup almond butter
1. Spray 9 x 13 inch sheet pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
2. Mix rolled oats, cereal, raisins, coconut and almonds in a large bowl. Set aside.
3. In a saucepan, mix corn syrup and brown sugar.
4. Bring to a boil while stirring. Add almond butter and stir to blend well. Pour over oats and fruit mixture and mix well.
5. Press mixture firmly onto pan. Let cool and cut into bars.
Deconstructed Pasta Salad with Italian Vinaigrette
You will need:
1 cup cooked bow tie or corkscrew Market Pantry pasta
2 tbsp. prepared Market Pantry Italian dressing
1/4 cup cherry or grape tomatoes cut in quarters
1/4 diced summer sausage
1/4 Market Pantry shredded mozzarella cheese
2 tbsp. chopped yellow peppers
1. Arrange the pasta, tomatoes, cheese, sausage and yellow pepper in a sectional plastic container.
2. Put each ingredient in its own compartment.
3. Place dressing in a small container.
4. Have your child mix the ingredients and dressing, adding as much or as little of each as they like.