Perry Township was the first one to make a move under the state laws to organize a school establishing its first school around 1820. The township schools No. 1 through No. 10 are detailed below as well as Perry Heights, which was established in 1939 as townships moved away from the one-room schoolhouses and built larger consolidated schools.
Perry Township School No 1
Nickname: West Heights
Status: Trade school
West Heights dates back to at least the 1850s on the route between Evansville and New Harmony in an area known as Babytown. The present school was built in 1883 but was enlarged in 1923 when an additional story was added. A wing was added around the same time EVSC acquired the school. West Heights, however, was closed in 1965 and merged into the new Helfrich Park. The school building was traded to the county for use as a technical trade school.
Perry Township School No 2
Nickname: Smith School
This county school was on Bayou Creek Rd in an isolated part of the county.
It was the frequent target of vandalism and destroyed by fire in 1932.
Perry Township School No 3
Nickname: Bockelman School
This school was originally at the corner of Eichoff and Middle Mt Vernon and dates back to the 1850s. A new school was built in 1895 on the site, but it closed in 1939 when Perry Heights opened. The school, in disrepair and with threat of the new University Parkway, found a new home on USI's campus and was restored.
Perry Township School No 4
Nickname: White School
Status: Church (New Bethel Southern Baptist)
White School was established circa 1854 where Middle and Lower Mt Vernon Rds meet Red Bank Rd. The current school was built 1927 with an addition in 1936. White School was closed in 1973 and merged into Daniel Wertz, which ironically relocated just nearby. In 1980 New Bethel Southern Baptist bought the property and converted it to a church. A front addition was built for a chapel, but the old school is clearly visible looking at the side.
Perry Township School No 5
Nickname: Wolf School
Wolf School on Upper Mt Vernon Rd dates back to around 1860. The school was rebuilt c1880 near where the new University Parkway intersects.
The school merged into Perry Heights in 1939 and was closed. The building stood until 2008 when it was razed.
Perry Township School No 6
Nickname: Schmadel School
Schmadel School was founded c1870 on Upper Mt Vernon Rd near Boehne Camp Rd. It was another of the Perry Township schools that merged into Perry Heights in 1939. The school was later modified into a personal residence.
Perry Township School No 7
Nickname: Howell School, Daniel Wertz School
The original Howell School was a Perry Township school. It was built in 1886 to serve the newly established railroad town of Howell. It had several
additions over the years and was renamed to Daniel Wertz in 1922 after the prominent Evansville businessman. In 1986, a new Daniel Wertz was built on
Red Bank Rd and this site was closed. The buildings were cleared circa 1990.
Perry Township School No 8
Nickname: Rheinlander School
Rheinlander school was built in 1915 in response to the growing West Side population, specifically around Bucyrus Erie and its workforce. It was located on Tekoppel Rd just north of Claremont. Rheinlander closed in 1961 and was used by the EVSC as storage for a while until it was razed in 1969. A St. Vincent DePaul store was built on the site, but that too is gone.
Perry Township School No 9
A school at the corner of West Franklin and Schissler was established c1900. The residence there is believed to be the original school structure, abandoned by 1928 and sold.
Perry Township School No 10
Tekoppel is still operating out of the original 1909 building designed by Frank J Schlotter. It is the oldest school building in use in Evansville
although later additions have enlarged it.
Perry Heights opened up in 1939 as a consolidated school as the townships moved away from smaller rural schools. The original section, designed by Edwin C Berendes, is the portion nearest the corner of Boehne Camp and Hogue. Some details including stonework set it apart from newer sections. Additions like the ones in 1954 and 1969 modified the school to its present state.