The blizzard up in the northeastern section of the United States, called "Nemo" by some, has affected hundreds of thousands. As of the morning of Saturday, Feb. 9, 2013, at least one person has been killed and over 600,000 customers are without power and dealing with cancelled or postponed flights.
Blizzard warnings from the National Weather Service have been in effect for the northeastern cost, including the metropolitan area of New York.
"Travel conditions will continue to be extremely hazardous if not impossible," the National Weather Service said.
It is expected that the storm will begin to taper off sometime on Saturday afternoon, but some will experience two to three feet of snow, and possibly more. The worst is expected to come down in parts of eastern Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut.
The first reported death that has been blamed on the blizzard was a man in his 70s that was killed when a driver lost control of her car and hit him. This was in Poughkeepsie, New York.
About 600,000 customers are without power across Rhode Island, Connecticut, and Massachusetts according to utility companies. Wet, heavy snow has brought down power lines and trees to affect their services. Rhode Island Governor Lincoln Chafee says that 180,000 residents are currently left in the dark.
Mayor Pedro Segarra of Hartford, Connecticut said that street-clearing crews have had their operations suspended due to the rate of the snow fall. It was said that more than four inches of snow an hour had been falling in some areas.
Making matters worse is that some areas, especially in New York, are at risk of flooding due to the blizzard. That is especially true for those areas still recovering from Superstorm Sandy in October.