The Mobile World Congress is upon us and coming to Barcelona, Spain that will unveil the latest mobile technologies and smartphones in the coming years. As a preview to the Mobile World Congress, CNN Tech announced a special report Feb. 21. 2013, detailing the future of smartphone technology and design.
- A 3-D display for your smartphone device: Gone will be the days of having to put on bulky glasses to view 3-D displays and squinting to view the webpages on your smartphone screen. The smart phone screens of the future will have displays that stick out from the screen in 3-D. Instead of a viewing a basic webpage, pictures of a store, or a house you will be able go into the environment of the store, house, etc and move around viewing it as a 3-D environment.
- Biometric Security will replace all passwords: This is the feature that the world has been yearning for since we all had to remember more than one password on the Internet. Instead of typing in your password to every website, you will be able to access the websites and your sensitive data using multiple biometric authentications. Examples of this include, touching the screen and the device recognizing your finger print, specific voice recognition since we all have a different sounding voice, and the smartphones front camera will use facial recognition to authenticate you. The facial recognition unlock is currently used in current models of smartphones.
- Wireless Payments on your smartphone will replace your wallet: Certain major retailers are starting to accept credit cards and payments by way of your smartphone device. Google Wallet is the beginning of this technology that currently accepts Citi Master card and will eventually accept all major credit cards in the future. Also, Pay Pal recently announced their version of paying with your smartphone securely at the store. With Pay Pal and Google Wallet you will never have to bring your credit card to the store again. This technology is made possible by NFC.
- Siri and Google Voice will get smarter: Siri and Google Voice will become more complex and be able to recognize ultra specific commands, users preferences, and dislikes. Also, Siri and Google Voice will eventually get an avatar or a digital face to represent them to the user. In addition, the user will be able to choose the specific personality of Siri and Google Voice, with celebrities licensing their faces to become your personal smartphone assistant.
- Some Smartphones will not need screens: The smartphone screen will not completely disappear from the mobile device. The user will have two options. One to have their normal smartphone with a screen setup. The second will have the smartphone display its information without the screen as a popup 3-D image like in Star Trek and Star Wars.
- Your smartphone will connect to everything: The smartphone will be an unlimited connection to everything in the world with a smart surface. The world is already seeing a few examples of smart surfaces. Touch screen table top computers that use your voice to browse the internet and use the computer. The user will place their mobile device on the smart surface and it will link instantly with the computer by Bluetooth. Furthermore, your virtual assistant Siri or Google Voice will appear on the smart surface computer to guide you through its usage and to find exactly what you are looking for.
These are the top trends to watch in smartphones in the next ten years. The world may also see aspects and examples of these technologies at the upcoming Mobile World Congress, which is the biggest event of the year for smartphones.