Enjoy the ooey-gooey goodness of s'mores this National S'mores Day without the use of a campfire, barbecue or even your oven. Just follow this easy recipe for Microwave S'mores and you will have all that warm deliciousness in your hands in minutes without heating up your house with the oven.
All you need are graham crackers, chocolate chips, mini marshmallows and a microwave. The results are even better than what you would get from a campfire because the chocolate completely melts and binds with the marshmallow to create the ultimate sticky yet smooth consistency.
Microwave S'mores Recipe (serves four)
- 8 graham cracker squares
- 36 chocolate chips (3/8-inch size, more if smaller)
- 36 white mini marshmallows
- Place four crackers in a microwavable dish. Place nine chocolate chips on each cracker, making sure they are sitting on their flat sides. (Use as many as needed if your chocolate chips are smaller).
- Microwave large chocolate chips for one minute on high, If you are using smaller chips, start with 30 seconds and add time in 5 second increments until they have begun to melt. They will be shiny when this happens.
- Remove dish from oven and put a mini marshmallow on top of each chocolate chip. If you are using smaller chocolate chips, just evenly distribute nine marshmallows.
- Microwave for one minute. Marshmallows will be puffy.
- Top with a second cracker and serve.
This recipe is good any time of year. It makes an excellent fast snack for after school or for parties. For adults you can even dress the s'mores up by adding toasted coconut or chopped nuts on top of the melted marshmallows. You can also use mint chocolate chips instead of the semisweet or milk chocolate variety. If you like, spread peanut butter on the top cracker for added flavor.
Four graham crackers
Place for graham cracker squares in a microwavable dish. Be sure there is some space between them so that they do not stick together during cooking
Place nine chocolate chips on each cracker. Large, flat chocolate chips work best for this. You may use either semi sweet or milk chocolate.
Melted chocolate chips
Microwave on high for one minute. If you are using smaller chocolate chips, it may teak less time. It is important to melt them first because the marshmallows take less tie to melt.
Close up of slightly melted chocolate chips.
This is a close up of how the chips should look when they are ready. They should lose their shape when touched. If they are still firm, microwave ten seconds longer.
Mini marshmallows on top of chocolate chips
Place a mini marshmallow on top of each chocolate chip. If you have used smaller chocolate chips, just distribute the mini marshmallows evenly on top of the chocolate chips.
Melted mini marshmallows
Return microwavable dish to microwave and microwave one minute. The marshmallows should be very puffy. If they do not seem puffy, microwave for ten more seconds.
Top each s'more with a second graham cracker. Squish the top cracker down a bit so the marshmallow oozes out a bit as it would with campfire s'mores.
Dish of s'mores
Serve finished s'mores with hot chocolate, coffee or black tea. Chocolate goes particularly well with Assam. serve them as a dessert for a dinner of pan fried hot dogs with all the fixings, french fries and nice green salad.