Michael Douglas was born in the State of new Jersey in 1944. He is the son of legendary film star Kirk Douglas. His father never wanted his son to go into the entertainment industry. Michael didn't listen he was going to do it his way and that was that. He started out doing TV and became very successful before moving on to the big screen. Once there he was on his way. It's funny he could have used his father's stardom and would have gone far with it. Instead, he took a different approach to his movies. Rather than be like his father rugged and rough Michael took a sensitive approach to the people he portrayed on film. This is not a best of list of Michael Douglas but rather just a compilation of my favorites of his work. Enjoy.
10. Coma (1978) - A female Doctor notices that healthy patients are taking a turn for the worst and are going into Coma's. They are then moved to an institute to be monitored but for what? Also staring Genevieve Bujold, Rip Torn, Richard Widmark, and Elizabeth Ashley.
9. China Syndrome (1979) - A reporter witnesses an accident at a Nuclear Power Plant. When she tries to post the story she is being stopped at every turn as higher ups do not want the story published. Jane Fonda, Jack Lemmon, Wilford Brimley, and Scott Brady star along side Douglas in this widely acclaimed movie.
8. Romancing the Stone (1984) - A novelist receives a treasure map from her recently deceased brother-in-law. Her sister is kidnapped and they want the map in return of the sister. The writer goes to South America and gets lost but runs into soldier of fortune who helps get it all straightened out. It also stars Kathleen Turner, Danny DeVito, Zach Norman, and Alfonso Arau.
7. A Chorus Line (1985) - A director auditions many for an up coming production. He narrows it down but must only pick a few to perform. Does the Director have ulterior motives to his choices? The cast includes Michael Blevins, Tamil Borges, Sharon Brown, and Cameron English.
6. Fatal Attraction (1987) - A happily married Lawyer has an affair with a co-worker. The woman just doesn't seem to want to let go and will do anything, I mean anything including murder to keep him. Glenn Close, Anne Archer, Fred Gwynne, and Ellen Hamilton Latzen round out the cast.
5. Wall Street (1987) - An up and coming Broker will do anything to get his foot in the door with a big shot financier. Once there the financier becomes mentor to the young lad until it the kid has to betray all he has ever known. The cast includes Charlie Sheen, John C. McGinley, Hal Holbrook, Martin Sheen, and Daryl Hannah.
4.The War of the Roses (1989) - The Roses were once a very happily married couple. Then one day the wife wonders what it would be like without her husband. Problem is she wants the house and so does the husband. So who is going to move out or better yet who is going to run the other off. Douglas stars along side Kathleen Turner, Danny DeVito, Sean Astin, and Marianne Sagebrecht.
3. Disclosure (1994) - A company is about to merge and a VP thinks he will be moved up the ladder. When a woman is brought in to run everything and she just happens to a woman from his past, it becomes tricky. She's brought in to cover up and blame. He gets sexually harassed by her and charges her with it. Let the fireworks begin. The cast includes Demi Moore, Donald Sutherland, Dennis Miller, and Dylan Baker.
2. The American President (1995) - A widowed President is up for re-election and has started to see a lobbyist. Rumors swirl and accusations fly and finally the line is drawn in the sand and the President lays down the gauntlet and says bring it on. Annette Benning, Martin Sheen, Michael J. Fox, Richard Dreyfuss also star.
1. Behind the Candelabra (2013) - A young man is introduced to Liberace. They have a passionate affair and live together for many years. One day Liberace wants someone younger and to the streets our man is sent. He takes Liberace to court and sues for finances. Matt Damon, Eric Zuckerman, Debbie Reynolds, and Dan Aykroyd are along for the movie ride.
Michael Douglas has been an institution in the film industry for many decades. He is from royalty as far as film stars families go. I can't believe him doing anything else and he did it his way.