When it comes to surviving the dim and frigid months of winter, animals have basically three strategies, the three S's of winter survival:
The following slides will introduce you to some outstanding examples of Virginia animals (everything from insects to black bears) who use these strategies.
For more great info on winter survival strategies, try these children's books:
- Over and Under the Snow by Kate Messner
- Animals in Winter (A Let's-Read-And-Find-Out Science Book) by Henrietta Bancroft and Helen K. Davie
- A Bed for the Winter, Level 1: Beginning to Read by Karen Wallace
- When Snowflakes Fall by Carl R. Sams II and Jean Stoick
- A Warm Winter Tail by Carrie A. Pearson and Christina Wald
If you find this information useful and would like to know more about teaching children (or yourself!) about Virginia's natural world, please click on the subscribe button above to be notified by email whenever this Examiner posts a new article.