September 17, 2013
The comprehensive Kentucky Equine Survey - all breeds of horses, ponies, donkeys and mules - was first undertaken in 1977. It's been conducted every year since. The 21012 survey revealed some fascinating numbers:
- 242,400: Number of horses in Kentucky.
- 35,000: Number of equine operations in Kentucky.
- 1.1 million: The number of acres of equine land in Kentucky.
- $23.4 billion: The total value of Kentucky's equine-related assets.
- $1.1 billion: The total of all equine-related sales and income for equine operations in 2011.
- $1.2 billion: Total equine-related expenditures by equine operations in 2011.