March has come and you can hear the roaring of the lion. It is a rough thing for most, but a great sign for skiers and snowboarders. Even as we move towards spring, the weather is still screaming winter. Sitting here writing, the snow continues to fall and cover the ground. So take advantage of what is left and enjoy the slopes. This weekend should be a particularly great weekend for snow sports in the Johnstown area.
The forecast for the Johnstown area for this weekend is a skier’s forecast. Throughout the weekend, the forecast is for snow showers through Sunday with most of the area ski resorts looking to pick up an inch or two each day. According to the Seven Springs website, they are expecting to see up to seven inches of snow over the weekend. Temperatures should be great for skiing throughout the weekend. High temperatures today and tomorrow are expected to be in the low 30’s with the high on Sunday in the mid-20’s. Overnight lows are expected to be in the low 20’s tonight and into the teens on Saturday and Sunday. Skies are expected to be mostly cloudy to cloudy throughout the weekend with at snow showers in the forecast in the Johnstown area from today through Sunday. There is 60% chance of snow today dropping to 40% tonight with 30 % on Saturday and 20% Sunday during the day. least a slight chance of precipitation each day. Snow accumulations of several inches are expected at all of our local resorts except Whitetail in Mercersburg and Tussey Mountain in Boalsburg.
Here are some of the events happening at the local ski resorts this weekend:
Hidden Valley is presenting the Y108 Jam in the Mountains on Saturday and Sunday. Come out this weekend to have some fun on the slopes or at the tubing park. Then enjoy some extra activities when you are done skiing. On Saturday night, The Stickers will be performing in the Alpine Room. On Sunday, enjoy $5 off your lift ticket for the day. Also on Sunday, March 3 is the Hidden Valley Race Club Open Cup. The event is open to the public. You must register the day of the event from 11:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. The race starts at 1:00 p.m. The cost for participating is $10. All participants must also have a valid lift ticket for the event.
Seven Springs begins its month long Spring Break Celebration this weekend with Yueng and Wings Weekend. After a day of skiing, stop by the Foggy Goggle for special prices on Yuengling and wings. Special packages are also available for the weekend at the resort. The Spring Break Celebration continues each weekend in March with a different theme each weekend.
Whitetail near Mercersburg has another great competition this weekend. The resort will be holding their Rock the Box competition on Sunday, March 3. Registration for the event is takes place from 8:00 a.m. until 10:00 a.m. on Sunday with the competition starting at 11:00 a.m. and takes place from 4:00 until 6:00 p.m. The competition will take place at Jib Junction Terrain Park. Also happening this weekend is the Cardboard Sled Competition, which takes place on Sunday, February 24. The event, which starts at 3:00 p.m., benefits the Cedar Ridge Children’s Home. You can register for the race at Whitetail on Sunday from 1:00 until 2:45 p.m. or register early by visiting the Cedar Ridge website or by calling (301)582-0282. The sledding competition is also open to spectators so come out and watch the fun to support the cause.
So get out and enjoy the slopes this weekend before the season is gone. While at the resorts, don’t forget to take advantage of pre-season sales on 2013-2014 season passes at the lowest prices of the year. So don’t forget the credit card or checkbook to purchase your season passes for next year. Check out the local snow report for each resort in the slideshow. Get some recreation time to reduce that stress and have some fun. Bundle up and stay warm.