St. Patrick’s Day, March 17, is the day to celebrate St. Patrick of Ireland. Irish and non-Irish celebrate “the luck of the Irish” by wearing green, sporting shamrocks and leprechauns, and often drinking alcohol.
Drinking green beer on St. Patty’s Day is pretty popular but if you’re not a beer drinker Irish cream is perfect for the occasion. Irish cream is cream based liquor that can be drank on its own, in a mixed drink, or better yet, baked with!
Some popular brands of Irish cream include: Baileys, Carolans, and Saint Brendan’s. While these are not the only brands available, they are the most popular.
If you’re really in the homemaking mood you can make your own Irish cream.
Homemade Irish Cream: (This recipe is from Cupcake Project)
1 cup light cream
14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
1 2/3 cup Irish whiskey (such as Jameson’s)
1 teaspoon instant coffee
2 tablespoons Hershey’s chocolate syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
1. Combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend on high for 30 seconds.
2. Bottle in a sealed container and refrigerate. Shake well before using. Will keep for up to two months in the refrigerator.
Whether you buy your Irish cream or make your own be sure to put into one or more of the delicious baked goods suggested. There’s something to for everybody!
If you’re celebrating St. Patrick’s Day in the Madison area, be sure to check out the following celebratory activities on March 17:
• Shamrock Shuffle: 10 am Overture Center
• Raising of the flag: Noon at Capitol Rotunda
• Contests for most freckles, largest clan, etc: 1:00 pm corner of Wisconsin and Mifflin
• Parade: 1:30 pm Capitol Square
After stopping by early afternoon events check out the Irish ales and celebrations at the following locations to finish off your St. Patrick’s Day:
• The Great Dane is featuring an Emerald Isle Stout
• Gray Brewing is featuring Busted Knuckle Irish Ale
• Claddagh Irish Pub in Middleton is the perfect place to celebrate. They will be having specials from the 14-17.