March 25th is International Waffle Day, called Våffeldagen, originated in Sweden. The holiday coincides with the Feast of the Annunciation, which takes place nine months before Christmas. Yes, it is nine months until Christmas. The Feast of the Annunciation is when the Archangel Gabriel told the Virgin Mary she was pregnant. Swedish families also celebrated the beginning of spring with waffles.
National Waffle Day is August 24. It celebrates the first patented waffle iron. The patent was submitted by Cornelius Swarthout in 1869. His iron sat on top of wood or gas stoves. The cast iron plates were joined by a hinge that swiveled in an iron collar. Lucky Americans get two waffle days.
When I make waffles I always add extra spices; this is one of my recipes:
· 2 cup all-purpose flour
· 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
· 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
· 1 teaspoons cinnamon
· 1 teaspoons ground ginger
· ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
· ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
· 2 eggs
· 1/3 cup butter, soft
· 1 cup milk
· ½ cup molasses
Preheat a waffle iron. Spray the iron with nonstick spray, if needed.
In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flours, sugar, baking powder, and spices. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the eggs, butter, milk, and molasses. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. (I use a whip or my mixer.)
Fill your waffle iron with batter according to the manufacturer's instructions. Cook until crisp and browned.
Serve immediately with pure maple syrup, and butter. Repeat with remaining batter.
Children Waffle books:
· Everything on a Waffle Paperback
· by Polly Horvath
· The Adventures of Waffle Man and Butter Boy by Harper, Kyle
· If Waffles Were Like Boys by Charise Mericle Harper and Scott Magoon
· Waffles Every Day by Kim W. Tolbert and May Artt
· Mrs. Postikit and the Waffle Emergencies by Stephen Fordenbacher (
· Waffle by Chris Raschka
· Early Reader: Awful Waffles by Deborah Holt Williams
Waffle Recipe books:
· Waffles: Sweet & Savory Recipes for Every Meal by Tara Duggan
· Waffles: Sweet, Savory, Simple by Yanagihara, Dawn and Schaeffer, Lucy
· Waffle Recipes: Wonderful Waffles and Syrups Cookbook by Hupp, Katherine
· Waffles: From Morning to Midnight by Dorie Greenspan
Rhonda Cratty includes her experiences of 30 years of public school teaching, raising children of her own, and articles written for on-line and hard copy publications -within the pages of Learning at home. Learning at home can be purchased in print or eBook form through Amazon.com. https://www.createspace.com/4605718 http://www.amazon.com/dp/1494917203
· For more information please see http://famfunlearn.com/.