Innovation is a product of freedom. Invention and innovation are products of genius and desirable behavior.
Having had a consulting practice supporting “intrapreneurs” at GTE, and supporting Fortune 500 clients while an executive at D. Appleton Company managing primary research services and the “new business engineering” practice, I am intensely interested in supporting initiatives aimed at renewing the American economy.
“Instead of seeking a technological silver bullet to increase productivity, we should be improving our gauges of loyalty, collaboration and the fearlessness that comes from healthy interdependence.” -- DOV SEIDMAN
Dov Seidman blogged about the importance of loyalty, collaboration, and bravery that comes from appreciating interdependence. That is a non trivial set of ideas. It is also something that has escaped the U.S. government of late.
There is a direct relationship between private enterprise performance and government enterprise performance that Dr. James Rodger and I tried to explain in our book, Smart Data, Enterprise Performance Optimization Strategy © 2010 Wiley Publishing. We continue to evangelize the concepts with application to sustainable economics, for instance.
What do private enterprise and government enterprise have in common?
Here is a list:
1. Both seek to optimize return on resources: Private enterprise seeks to maximize profits. Public enterprise seek to optimize return on revenues and available resources.
2. Both seek to leverage one another: Public enterprise produces a desirable environment in which private enterprise can flourish.
3. Both require competent CEOs who possess leadership values and behavior, skill, knowledge, experience, accomplishments and proficiency.
4. Both have command of advanced technology.
5. Both have a stake in engineering and producing a sustainable economy.
The primary tasks in new business engineering, a process that produces new products and new business units include six primary activities:
3. Business Concepting
4. Operations Development
6. Testing and Feedback