Friday August 8 through Sunday August 10 the Great Midwest Balloon Festival will be held at the Kansas Speedway in Kansas City, Kan. Balloon Glows will be held at 7:30 p.m. on Friday and Saturday night and the glowing balloons will light up the night sky. Hot Air Balloon Rides tethered and untethered are offered during the festival.
The Mission, Kan. Artwalk will be held on Friday night from 5:30 to 9 p.m. Enjoy local artist, vendors, food, and drink at the second artwalk of the summer series. The event will be held at Johnson Dr. and Dearborn in downtown Mission.
Theater Aug. 8 through Aug. 10:
- The Buffalo Room: 817 Westport Rd., “The Butcher’s Son,” closes Aug. 18.
- Hollywood Theater: 501 Delaware, Leavenworth, “Legally Blonde, The Musical,” closes Aug. 9.
- Just Off Broadway Theatre: 3051 Central, “Echoes of Octavia,” closes Aug. 24.
- Mystery Train Theater: Several locations, “Legally Dead,” closes August 16.
- Off Center Theatre: Crown Center, “South Pacific,” closes Aug. 24.
- Paradise Playhouse Dinner Theatre: 101 Spring, Excelsior Springs, “Weekend Comedy,” closes Aug. 9.
- Quality Hill Playhouse: 303 W. 10th, “Great Duets of Musical Theatre,” closes Aug. 17.
- Theatre in the Park: 7900 Renner, Lenexa, “Ragtime,” closes Aug. 9.
Aftershock Bar and Grill
Aftershock Bar located at 5244 Merriam Dr. in Merriam, Kan. Friday night at 7 p.m., the club features Slaves with a cover charge of $13. Doors open a 6:30 p.m. and the show is suitable for all ages. $2 charge for minors. On Tuesday the club presents the Artery Metal Tour with Chimaira at 6 p.m.
Davey's Uptown Ramblers Club
Davey’s Uptown Ramblers Club is located just south of downtown at 3402 Main in Kansas City. Friday night the club presents the Good Sam Club, 3 Son Green, and Shedding Watts at 8 p.m. On Saturday Electric Lungs, Hipshot Killer, Big Iron, Will Malott, and Ven Smith take the main stage.
Kelly's Westport Inn
Kelly’s Westport Inn located at 500 Westport Road, in the Westport Entertainment District. Friday the club will feature on stage the Magnetics at 10 p.m. At 10 p.m. on Saturday night, Twice on Sunday take the main stage. Kelly’s Westport Inn has an outdoor dining and drinking area located on the rooftop of the business.
The Record Bar is located at 1020 Westport Road in the Westport Entertainment District. Friday night at 6 p.m. DJ Lee, L.A. Price, Luke Baker, and more will be featured. At 9:30 p.m. Detroit Red and the Filthy Diaries, Blue Boot Heelers, Culprits, and Calamity Cubes take the stage. On Saturday at 7:30 p.m. Watch Me As I Go takes the stage and at 10 p.m. Blue Coupe will be featured.
The Riot Room
The Riot Room is located just north of Westport Rd. and Broadway at 4048 Broadway. At 8 p.m. on Friday 77 Jefferson takes the stage with a $6 cover charge. Saturday at 7:30 p.m. Sidewise, Mad Libby, Unwritten Rulz, Guild, Starving in Style, Deadman’s Hand, Striving for Cairo, Feel Bad Hit of the Winter take the stage. At midnight Mobil Death Camp performs.