Hostile working environments are inevitable in the working world, which is expected considering the many personalities colliding each and every day. There may be a time when you are subjected to a working environment that causes anxiety and doubt in your job security. Check out just a few survival techniques to prepare yourself in the event that you are ever faced with such a dilemma.
1. Documentation is the rule of thumb when dealing with an overzealous or partially insane supervisor. Ensure that you save each and every email between you and every person at your job.
2. Ensure that you are “perfect” when going about your work day. Some employers even coerce co-workers to observe your behaviors in order to keep an ongoing log for the purpose of termination.
3. If your employer has you doing something that is not a part of your job description and it violates policy, request something in writing stating that you were given a directive from your superior.
4. Don’t be afraid to get Human Resources involved; however, understand that human resources is not your friend, they ultimately do what’s in the best interest of the company. That is not to say that they will not help you if there is a minor problem.
5. Remain neutral with all co-workers and never tell them your business. This is a very important suggestion when working in a hostile working environment. You may have close relationships with your co-workers, but if they had a choice between throwing you under the bus and keeping their job, get ready for the inevitable skid marks.