According to History.com’s topic page “Halloween”, “One quarter of all the candy sold annually in the U.S. is purchased for Halloween,” and “…Americans spend an estimated $6 billion annually on Halloween, making it the country's second largest commercial holiday.” While it sounds fantastic for children, it can be deadly for dogs.
Many dog owners are familiar with the danger that chocolate poses for their dog. Chocolate can be fatal, but it is not the only thing you need to be looking out for. Other toxins, such as raisins, sugar-free candy, gum and baked good that contain Xylitol, are also incredibly dangerous. Although they aren't considered treats, candy wrappers and lollipop sticks still are very dangerous during Halloween.
It’s important as a dog owner to be aware of the dangers, know the signs and symptoms, and educate family members as well. Halloween is supposed to be a time to scare others, not be scared for your dog. Continue through the list for information about some of the more dangerous items for your dog handed out to trick-or-treaters on Halloween.