Is your mamma Catholic, and can she make a roux?
Nothing says lovin’ like some filé gumbo.
Treat your Valentine to some Cajun cooking this weekend in Destin, which is well worth the drive.
From special Valentine's events to model trains, there’s still plenty to do right here is GreaterJax™.
24th Annual Sandestin Gumbo Festival – Feb. 15-16, Noon-4 p.m. The Village of Baytowne, 9100 Baytowne Ave., Destin, Fla. 32550. Admission: $20 in advance, $25 at the gate. Stroll the Village streets and sample gumbo from the area’s best restaurants and chefs. Dark or light roux? Chicken, sausage or seafood? Celebrity judges name the “Area’s Best” and award the most creative set-up. Sample a variety of gumbo, and vote your favorite as the “People’s Choice” winner. Live music from Dikki Du and the Zydeco Krewe & children’s activities. This weekend of food, fun, and live entertainment goes on rain or shine. Tickets online at www.xorbia.com/e/sd/2013Gumbo. For more information, email email@example.com or visit www.sandestingumbofestival.com.
GREATERJAX™ VALENTINE’S TREATS
- Annual Romantic Valentine’s Concert – Thurs., Feb. 14, 2 p.m. Flagler County Public Library, Doug Cisney Room, 2500 Palm Coast Pkwy N.W, Palm Coast, Fla. Admission: FREE & open to the public. Featuring singer Linda Cole. Sponsored by the Friends of the Library of Flagler County. Flowers presented to ladies in addition to refreshments. Call 386-446-6763.
- Music & Words of Love – A Valentine's Day Event by the Ponte Vedra Woman's Club – Thurs., Feb. 14, 6:30-9:30 p.m. Marsh Landing Country Club, 25655 Marsh Landing Pkwy, Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla. Admission: $100 per person, age 21 & up. Hors d'oeuvres, a three course meal (surf & turf) including wine, dessert, and liquor tasting. Enjoy performances of Broadway love songs, dancing,romantic poetry readings. Exciting Silent Auction Fundraiser to support Beaches Habitat for Humanity, Hugs Across the County, Mission House, St. Vincent de Paul, and the Winston YMCA After-School Program. Cocktail attire. Cash bar also available. Contact Donna WeMett at 904-429-7317 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Valentine’s Day 9 & Dine Golf – Thurs. Feb. 14, 2:30 p.m. Palm Harbor Golf Club, 20 Palm Harbor Drive, Palm Coast, Fla. Admission: Cost is $25 per person & includes 9 holes of golf and dinner. Call 386-986-4653.
- Valentine's Day Sweetheart Skate – Thurs., Feb. 14, 7:30-9:30 p.m. Jacksonville Ice & Sportsplex, 3605 Philips Hwy., Jacksonville, Fla. 32237. Admission: $5 + tax , includes skate rental, FREE parking. Skate sizes toddler 6 through adult 14. 904-399-3223.
- Valentine Dinner – Sat., Feb. 16, 6 p.m., dinner at 7 p.m. Knights of Columbus Hall, 51 Old Kings Rd. N., Palm Coast, Fla. Admission: $20. An evening of dinner and dancing with performer Vic Paci. Chicken Cordon Bleu and sides. Call 386-449-9527 or 386-446-5632.
EVEN MORE TO LOVE IN GREATERJAX™
- 35th Annual Jacksonville Model Train & Railroadiana Show & Sale – Sat., Feb. 16, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Prime Osborn Convention Center, 1000 Water Street, Jacksonville, Fla. 32204. Admission: $8.00, kids under 12 FREE, FREE parking in the main lot. This year’s venue is the former Jacksonville Union Terminal, conveniently located off the Forsyth exit (353A), I-95. Over 300 tables representing dealers from all over the nation. Florida’s largest combination show. Relive the glory days of railroading in Florida when the Seaboard Railroad, Florida East Coast Railroad and the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad were king. Light lunch will be served. For other details or dealer information please call 813-949-7197 and ask for Alan Altman. email@example.com
- Annual Father-Daughter Ball – Sat., Feb. 16, 7-10 p.m. Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island Pkwy, Amelia Island, Fla. Admission: $115 per father/daughter pair, $50 per additional daughter. Music, dancing and professional photography, heavety hors d’oeuvres, silent auction, and gift bakset raffle. Semi-formal/formal attire. Admission includes gift bag & memory book. Tickets at Fatherdaughter2013.eventbrite.com.
- Augustana Choir Concert – Sun., Feb. 17, 7 p.m. Lakewood Presbyterian Church, 2001 University Blvd. W, Jacksonville, Fla. 32217. Admission: FREE & open to the public. The Augustana has been called one of the finest in the country by the New York Times. The choir performs a wide variety of music written from the Renaissance to modern day. This group of 70 students from various majors rehearses several times per week and performs throughout the year. In the past ten years, the choir has traveled abroad to Germany, Austria, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Mexico and China. Founded in 1931, the choir had its debut in Chicago’s Orchestra Hall and has performed in Carnegie Hall and Alice Tully Hall at Lincoln Center. www.lpcjax.org
- Presidents Day Weekend at the Hall of Fame – Fri., Feb. 15-Mon., Feb. 18. World Golf Hall of Fame, World Golf Village, 1 World Golf Pl., St. Augustine, Fla. Admission: Active & former military $10, kids under 12 FREE. Loearn about Hall of Fame Presidents George H. W. Bush and Dwight D. Einsenhower while taking a speical scavenger hunt that enters you to win a sopeical prize. Have your photo take with the Presidents Cup trophy. 407-694-6833. www.worldgolfhalloffame.org
- Spay-Ghetti Dinner – Sat., Feb. 16, 5 p.m. VFW Hall, 47 N. Old Kings Rd., Palm Coast, Fla. Admission: $30 per person. Fundraiser hosted by The Flagler Humane Society. Three-course spaghetti dinner, music, dancing, live auction, silent auction, raffles & more. Tickets available at flaglerhumanesociety.org and at the shelter located at 1 Shelter Drive. Call 386-237-7690.
- Winter Palace Promenade – Sat., Feb. 16, 8 p.m. Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront, 225 E. Coastline Dr., Jacksonville, Fla. 32202. Admission: $15 online, $20 at the door. In 1913 a dinner and ball was held at the illustrious Winter Palace in St. Petersburg, Russia, to celebrate the Romanov family's 300 years of reign. On its 100th Anniversary, live in history as it never would be. Princess Illustrious I and the Imperial Court in celebrating a lost world of gilded opulence and beauty.
©2013 All rights reserved.
OFFICIAL BIO: K Truitt is a second-generation, native Floridian born in Jacksonville. Truitt worked in public higher education for 25 years, most recently in Texas, is a successful grant writer, knows newspaper publishing, printing and graphic design and wants to work in the public sector. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org