There are many shades of green. One way of making Earth Day every day is greening your morning routine. From bags to bikes, here are five elements to reduce the morning grind while being earth-minded around Indianapolis.
1. Journal. Set your daily green intentions in a handmade, Fair Trade notebook. Grab an elephant dung journal (elephant not included) handmade by an international artisan from Global Gifts or select an upcycled journal from Homespun: Modern Handmade handcrafted by an American artisans.
2. Workout at the Chase Near Eastside Legacy Center. This unique Indianapolis community center runs on geothermal heating and cooling systems, sensory lighting in every room, and a rooftop rainwater collection for watering greenhouse vegetation. Know you are doing good for the earth while doing good for your body.
3. Select a purse with a purpose. People for Urban Progress upcycles materials from the former RCA Dome and repurposes Super Bowl XLVI signage into handmade wallets, purses and messenger bags.
4. Pack your bag. Include items you use multiple times per day—a handmade Indiana poplar travel mug from Dickinson Custom Furniture, a cloth napkin and upcycle last night's dinner into a tasty lunch salad.
5. Walk, bike, bus or carpool. The Central Indiana Regional Transit Authority (CIRTA) connects commuters with resources. IndyGo offers bus transit while The Ride Guide Map from Indy Cog indexes bike routes around Indy for smooth morning Indianapolis commute on two wheels.