We are always on the run, scouring the grocery aisles looking for great grab n go snacks and meal replacements to carry along in our bags for outdoor events, movies and road trips.
Here are our new top 5 grab n go grub picks:
- Kind Plus Bars- We love that these tasty nut, fruit and seed bars are all-natural, filled with fiber, non gmo and are wheat & gluten free. We especially love the dark chocolate cherry cashew which has 50% daily value of antioxidants, Vitamins A,C and E too! Find them in the natural section of your grocery store or wherever Kind Bars are sold for about $1.50/bar.
- Dry Roasted Edamame- Spicy Wasabi from Seapoint Farms: We love that these 100-calorie packs offer us a crunchy and lower fat alternative to chips and nuts. Did you know that Edamame has 70% less fat and 40% more protein than peanuts, and that these dry roasted packs also double as a salad topper- replacing traditional croutons? Find a box of 6 packs in the natural section of your favorite specialty store for around $3.99.
- Pumpkin Seeds (in-shell), roasted and salted from Good Sense- we love these crunchy, addicting seeds for their good source of protein, and convenience. Find these re-sealable pouches in the produce section of your market for around $1.99 per 4.5 oz pouch.
- Cracker Jack’d PB& Chocolate Hearty Mix- We love this new product from Frito-Lay. The chocolate covered oat clusters nestled with roasted peanuts offered us a truly filling and addicting snack alternative to buttered popcorn or sugary candy we normally eat at the movies. We found these at CVS for $3.99 and are looking forward to trying their other flavors such as Spicy Pizzeria and Cheddar BBQ. Drawback: the pouches are too big for one serving and do not have a re-sealable element. Plan on sharing with a friend!
- Concord Grapes- When a fresh fruit can taste sweet like candy, Welch’s grape juice or grape jelly and be totally healthy for you… then we say, go for it! Pack some in a handy seal and lock bag, and munch away. Yes, these grapes have seeds, and their skins slide off easily but this sweet, uniquely tasting grape will slide right down your throat. Find them seasonally (as in now) in your local produce section of your favorite LI market for about $2.99/lb.
For other helpful Long Island resources, please visit:
Long Island Grocery Stores, including specialty shops and those that deliver
Where to purchase farm raised poultry on Long Island
Grocery 101: Holiday Essentials
Where to purchase Prime Dry Age Meats on Long Island
Where and how to purchase a lobster (and other seafood) on Long Island
Grocery 101: Basic Staples Lists
Long Island Farmer's Markets: Locations and Dates
Long Island Farm Stands
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook or Stumble
Write for Examiner.com
Examiner.com is always searching for new writers. There are a huge variety of topics to choose from. View the list of available titles to see where your expertise lies. Be sure to use this link when you apply, as I’ll be recognized to make an extra $50 if you’re accepted as an Examiner. This is an incentive that you too will have a chance at when another writer is signed up under your title link.
Seapoint Farms Dry Roasted Edamame
These 100 calorie dry roasted edamame packs are loaded with protein and flavor! The ultra-strong wasabi punch will refrain you from eating these too quickly, but will have you addicted in no time!
Good Sense roasted and salted pumpkin seeds
You know we all love crispy pumpkin seeds, but hate to weed out the slime and roast ourselves. With Good Sense's brand, found in the produce aisle of your market, you can always grab a delicious and nutritious handful on the go! Bonus: Try sprinkled on a delicious sweet potato soup!
Concord Grapes a fall specialty
Grapes are an antioxidant, delicious snack. But have you tried Concord grapes yet? They have a slippery, tangy, yet sweet interior, with tiny seeds that hardly detract from this grape enjoyment! In addition to a great snack food, try on your next cheese platter.
Welch's grape juice is distinclty Concord
You know that special Welch's grape juice flavor? Well, that comes from the Concord grapes used to make this juice, and for that matter their jam and jelly. Try adding Concord grapes to your next batch of sweet and sour meatballs, for added taste and texture.
New Cracker Jack'd snack bags are hearty, filling and unexpectedly nutritious. Their PB & Chocolate is a combo of roasted peanuts and chocolate covered oats or peanut butter coated oat clusters. While good tasting, the pouches, which are not able to be sealed once opened are too large for one serving, so plan on sharing.
Cracker Jack'd new varieties
Check out all the new and delicious sounding varieties of Cracker Jack'd snacks. We found our stash at CVS before our movie and munched on this instead of popcorn and candy. We all loved the PB & Chocolate but can't wait to try the Salted Caramel.
Kind Plus Bar
Put a little Kindness into your day with Kind Plus bars. We especially loved the dark chocolate and cherry, but with other flavors that contain chili, ginger, pecans or even macadamia nuts, these bars set themselves apart by being Non GMO foods, wheat and gluten free and thoroughly delicious.