Who hasn't seen the pictures of Britney Spears leaving a gas station bathroom barefooted. I know, gross. But, maybe, just maybe she was in there to pick up a healthy snack. You scoff. Well it doesn't take a rocket scientist to find some good snack choices at your local gas station.
My grandchildren beg for sweets. So, when we have are filling up the gas tank, (no I don't take them to the bathroom barefooted) I allow them to pick one of these choices.
5 of the top choices:
- Fruit Popsicle: Most deliver around 100 calories, less than half of what you’ll find in a typical candy bar. Even better: go for ones with no added sugar if you can find them.
- Nuts: Got a salty craving? They are full of healthy fats and deliver protein, both of which help keep your tummy from grumbling later in the trip. Keep portions in check because the calories from nuts can add up quickly.
- String Cheese: Skip the “cheesy”-flavored snacks and go for the real deal. These pre-portioned cheese sticks deliver protein, calcium and have less than 100 calories.
And not to leave my adult kids out, they can also pick:
- Beef jerky: Packed with protein to satisfy your snack attack for the rest of your journey, and low in carbs unlike a lot of snack foods. Look for jerky with the least sodium.
- Snack bars: Most deliver 200-250 calories, so they’re filling and, unlike a bag of trail mix, they’re pre-portioned so you won’t accidentally eat four servings. Watch out for super-sugary bars. Two healthy favorites made with whole ingredients like nuts and dried fruit are KIND bars and Lärabars.
Just because the snacks we picked are on the healthier side, our hands can be filled with gross germs. You can pick up a lot of bacteria out in the world, so it’s important to always wash your hands with soap and warm water before you eat your snack. Make sure to bring along hand sanitize in case you find yourself at a bathroom without any running water. You should also have a towel just for drying your hands as well as a towel for cleaning up food messes.