The calendar says September 1st. This means that summer is over, and it is time to look to fall. The sunny, cool weather is perfect for so many activities that are perfect to do as a family.
1. Go Apple Picking September and October are great months to pick fresh apples right off the tree. There are several orchards in the area you might consider visiting. Spicers Orchards, just to the north of Hartland on Clyde Rd, and Erwin Orchards just east of Brighton in South Lyon are well known in the area. They offer a full experience with corn mazes, hayrides, and inflatables for the kids to play on.
2. Make an Apple Dessert After your go apple picking, or buy apples at a local Farmer's Market, use some of them to make a special apple treat, like Apple Pie, Caramel Apples or Caramel Apple Pizza.
3. Go on a Hayride On the weekends in October, Kensington Metropark has horse drawn hayrides at the Farm Center.
4.Enjoy Cider and Donuts You can find these delicious treats at all of the orchards when you are done picking apples. Another local spot to consider is the Historic Parshaville Grist Mill, in Fenton. This year is it's 137th year, so you know that they know what they are doing.
5. Find Your Pumpkins at a Pumpkin Patch There is just something special about going into the pumpkin patch and picking out your own pumpkin. You can find a patch at both Spicer's and Erwin orchards.
6. Carve a Jack-O-Lantern Halloween will be here before we know it. It is always a fun time cleaning out your pumpkin and creating a work of art.
7. Go to the Legend Sleepy Howell On the last Saturday in October the town of Howell turns into Sleepy Howell. The 11th annual festival will be on Oct. 26, this year from 5-9 p.m. There will be costume contests, food vendors, a 5K/10K, and a visit from the Headless Horseman.
8. Visit Cedar Point's Halloweekends This year the spooky fun starts at Cedar Point September 13. There are activities for people of all ages during the day. Rides will be open, and the park will be decorated for Halloween. If you enjoy haunted houses and other scary things, you will want to stay after dark.
9. Go to a Football Game The arrival of fall always means the arrival of football season. With in an hours drive you can see a Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverine, and Michigan State Spartan Game. If you want to stay close to home, consider going to your local high school's game. It would also be fun getting all your friends together, and hosting your own game in the backyard.
10. Get Lost in a Corn Maze Just to the west of the county in a the town of Webberville, you can find the Best Maze Corn Maze. It will also be opening this year on Sept. 13.