It is that time of year when one starts to think of what to purchase to show love on Valentine’s Day. Stores and retail shop owners in Columbia, TN began last month displaying items for the special day. Teddy bears, candy, flowers, cards, and other items associated with day. Jewelry such as diamond engagement rings will be the choice for some. Others are thinking big by making reservations at a restaurant or even an out of town trip for their spouse. Love is in the air, how to express it, and perhaps some anxiety about making the day one to remember.
God is the originator of love. His love was expressed through Jesus. “This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him.”(1 John 4:9) Jesus expressed His love by giving up His life for the entire world. Wow! Can you top those gifts? There is no amount of money that can purchase eternal life. It is free. This Valentine’s Day can be made special with some free gifts to your husband or wife. Here is a short list:
1. Listen with all of your heart. Don’t try to think of an answer or try to fix it. Listen actively and make sure to paraphrase back them what was said.
2. Give the gift of touch like a hug.
3. Spend quality time and laugh.
4. Do acts of service like wash dishes, clean the garage, and/or wash the car.
5. Share faith in God, Jesus by praying, sharing favorite Scripture.
This list is not comprehensive, but the chances are that these free things will be remembered on Valentine’s Day more than candy or stuffed animal.