Kale is the "it" leafy green right now, and for good reason. Packed with nutrients, versatile, hearty, and unique, it's blows watery, bland iceburg lettuce, well, out of the water. So, where to find and how to use?
Where to Buy Kale
- You'll find numerous varieties at farmer's markets and in CSA boxes.
- Safeway and other big chain grocers - chopped in a plastic tub or bag or bunched, often in the organic greens section or by the cauliflower/broccoli. Some brands are now carrying baby kale in the bagged salad section.
- Trader Joe's - bagged, chopped kale in the salad section.
- Whole Foods - bulk/bunched or in bags.
- Many restaurants that feature seasonal, local food offer kale on their menus, usually as a salad.
How to Eat Kale
- Chopped up fine, raw, for salad greens
- Steamed or sauteed
- In soups and stews
- As a wrap, instead of a grain-based one
- Chopped up fine and mixed into a creamy dip, aka in place of spinach
- Fried or baked, as a crispy snack
Recipes Featuring Kale