Establishing a bedtime routine can be a tricky process. With school back in session it's important that our children get plenty of rest to ensure they have the energy to absorb all that they are to learn. But, how do you begin to set up a routine ?
Here are a few steps to establishing a bedtime routine.
- Learn the signs of when your child is starting to get sleepy & is prime for bedtime. This is not when they start being cranky or whining. When this starts you've waited too long.
- Pick a bedtime that is before your child is sleepy and stick to it. Let your child know that time as well.
- Pick your bedtime routine steps. How will your daily routine go when you're getting ready for bed?
- At the last step of the routine, remind your child that it is bedtime & they have to stay in bed.
- Know when to re-work your bedtime. If something needs to be added or taken away. Make the change then stick with it.
8:30pm Bedtime Example
- 8:00 pm Get PJ's on and brush teeth, wash face
- 8:15 pm 1 Story & Song, then kiss goodnight & reminder that they must stay in bed
- 8:30 pm Lights out. Night list on. :)