The following are a few recommendations for jazz in Milwaukee this week:
1. Monday The MC Swingtet performs at VIA on Downer. The band is an uptempo jazz-swing group with a high level of musicianship and veteran performers.
2. Wednesday Evan Christian brings his spanish guitar inspired tunes to the Jazz Estate. Christian also works in elements of hip-hop and puts on a good show.
3. Thursday Mark Thierfelder plays with his trio at the Mason St. Grill. An excellent location to start an evening and have dinner. Thierfelder was recently nominated one of Milwaukee's top musicians by the Shepherd Express.
4. Thursday Jeno Somlai the Transfer pizzeria cafe. Visit the transfer after the Mason St. Grill and catch Jeno Somlai's trio. Somlai's trio offers latin jazz.
5. Friday Self-described "urban vigilante" Shawn Maxwell visits the Jazz Gallery in River West. Maxwell is a Chicago-based Saxophone player known for his unique improvisational skills and style. He comes acclaimed as "one the preeminent performers in the Chicago jazz landscape", with high praise from reviewers(*).